Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how to delete unwanted program

by seenasar / July 20, 2006 9:33 PM PDT

i downloaded a program called yahoo funny to use with messenger. it turned out to be useless so i tried to remove it. it is not in my add/remove programs and there is nothing anywhere that says uninstall.when i try to delete it says go to add/remove but as i said it is not in there.this program automatically runs on start up and will not close down, only minimises.there is also a constant pop up asking to download latest version. i went to the publishers website but it is written in vietnamese. if anyone can help me i would appreciate it, thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to delete unwanted program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to delete unwanted program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try doing a system restore
by glb613 / July 20, 2006 9:42 PM PDT

to a time before you downloaded the program. I'd also recommend you update and run your antivirus and antispyware scans to remove any nasties that probably came with the program.

Collapse -
system restor did not work
by seenasar / July 20, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

hi, thanks for your reply, i ran system restore but it told me that it could not complete as there has been no changes made. i have also ran full system scans using nortons, adaware, spyware balster and spybot search and destroy. nothing has helped.

Collapse -
Go to start, run
by glb613 / July 20, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

and type in msconfig. Click on the startup tab and uncheck anything associated with the program. Select apply/OK and reboot the computer. You will get a message when it restarts, select don't show this message again and see if it's gone. That might stop it from starting when you boot the computer. Have you checked with "Yahoo funny" for uninstall instructions?

Collapse -
i ran start - run
by seenasar / July 21, 2006 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Go to start, run

and it has stopped it from opening on start up which in turn has got rid of the constant pop up. i went to the yahoo funny website and it is all written in vietnamese therefore i cant read it to find out how to uninstall. thanks for your help and if anyone knows how to uninstall this please help me.

Collapse -
try system restore in safe boot
by miltonhcopeland / July 21, 2006 2:59 PM PDT

that has worked for me a couple of times.

use start> run> msconfig> boot.ini> choose safeboot with minimal checked

good luck

Collapse -
i tried doing this but
by seenasar / July 21, 2006 4:38 PM PDT

when i tried to restore it will only let me restore to 1 day ago when i actually d/l the program 3 days ago. thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?