Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to delete unread mail messages against user on start up?

by philcheung / January 22, 2006 6:10 PM PST

I am running XP Pro on my notebook and have enabled hibernate. On restarting XP after hibernation, when I get to the log on screen, I have a message telling that I have a number of unread mail messages and how many programs still running. When I click on the unread mail message, it will inform me that I have a number of unread mail in my son's (who does not live with me any more)various hotmail addresses.
He has deleted these letters but I still cannot get rid of this recurrent unread mail messages.
Can anyone help shed some lights as how to delete this unread mail messages at start up please.
Thank you.
Philip Cheung

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete unread mail messages against user on start up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete unread mail messages against user on start up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
User accounts or email accounts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2006 7:59 PM PST

Does your son have a separate User Account on the PC?

If so, and if there are no plans for your son to use your computer again, you may want to delete his account, Start > Control Panel, User Accounts, Change Account, select the account to be deleted, then select "Delete the account".

If that is not the case, then does your email software hold the Hotmail email account for your son? You haven't said whether you access Hotmail from a browser or through email software, but if it is through email software which do you use? If it is Outlook, or Outlook Express you may be able to delete your son's account from the Tools > Accounts menu.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
User accounts or email accounts
by philcheung / January 23, 2006 7:56 AM PST

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. The notebook is one week old and has only the administrator and guest account. My son does not have his own user account. He logged on to the adminstrator account automatically and was in MSN on his two hotmail accounts when the battery ran out and the notebook turned itself off. So there are no other accounts to delete as you suggested.

I have not even set up any email software such as outlook express or outlook and he did not even have a chance to access his mail box via the browser before the computer turned itself off due to low battery. So his hotmail account is not in outlook or outlook express.

I have since made him go to his hotmail accounts, x2 on this notebook and he had opened every letter in the two accounts and yet the message is stil there telling me that are unread email messages.

Wonder how to get rid of this??

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 6:40 PM PST

Hi Philip, thanks for your reply.

I'm not a hotmail user so I am fast running out of ideas.

There has to be a setting somewhere, but I don't know where it would be.

Can you tell me, when does this "you have unread email messages" display? Is it when the notebook starts up and loads Windows, or when you start the browser, (Internet Explorer)?

Or is it when you goto your own hotmail account within the browser?

It might be a browser issue, in which case we could head off towards the Browser forum, or most likely we could go to the "Communications and Messaging" forum if we can't fix it here. There will be members there with more knowledge of Hotmail than me.

I know that Internet Explorer has a setting for Hotmail, (Tools > Internet Options, Programs tab, then the "Email" option), but there don't seem to me any other settings there to allow you to pick and choose accounts.

Tell me what you can and we will see where that leads us.

Collapse -
email message
by philcheung / January 23, 2006 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

Hi Mark,

the message comes on when you first boot up on windows, and you get to a box where you have to clik either adminstrator or whatever user you are to start windows. The message is next to the user's box, which in this case is the adminstrator, so it is somewhere within windows giving me the message that I have unread email messages. Currently outlook and outlook express are not configured on purpose.

I have tried deleting old history and everything in options under windows explorer to no avail.

Ah.............problems, so simple and yet so frustrating!!!

Collapse -
Unread e-mail messages
by Cursorcowboy / January 23, 2006 8:15 PM PST
In reply to: email message

The article [Q304148] explains the Welcome Screen is displayed by default on computers that are not members of a domain. Under your name on the Welcome screen, there is a hyperlink that indicates the number of unread e-mail messages, which, if you click it, reveals which account the messages are from, and how many each e-mail provider contains. For example, if you have three unread e-mail messages, and you click the hyperlink under your name, you see the following information where UserID is your user name for the corresponding e-mail account:

? (2)
? (1)

Note: The hyperlink is only displayed if you have an e-mail client running on your computer that is capable of updating the Welcome screen. Currently, there are only two applications that support this feature, Microsoft Outlook Express and Windows Messenger. To disable this feature requires editing the system registry.

Collapse -
Re: email message
by Tufenuf / January 23, 2006 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: email message
Collapse -
Excellent Tuf.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: email message

I'm sure this is what Philip needs.

Many thanks, Happy

Collapse -
email message removal
by philcheung / January 25, 2006 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: Excellent Tuf.

Thanks very much Cursorcowboy for the info. The lead to Q304148 was most helpful and I was able to delete the data with regedit. Thanks Tutenuf, but I did not have any other users to delete but thanks anyway for your help.
Mark, thanks so much for your help and encouragement.
Now I am another step wiser. It was logged on under email messages under MSN in the regedit.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?