Samsung forum

Question

How to delete and reinstall a faulty app on Samsung smart tv

by Laura_t82 / September 26, 2013 3:06 AM PDT

Netflix has been working fine and when I've just tried to go back into it it comes up with the error message:

'There is a problem in starting netflix (err:server is not started). Please reinstall netflix.'

I've tried to go to the app to delete it so I can reinstall it as advised but I can't see any option anywhere to delete it and it is in the recommended apps section so not sure if it can even be deleted?

Please can you advise on what I can do to sort this problem?

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete and reinstall a faulty app on Samsung smart tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete and reinstall a faulty app on Samsung smart tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Mgo app bad
by Vsmack / January 10, 2016 9:41 AM PST

My MGO app is coming up blank when I click on it. I have an account and have purchased movies on it. When I click it on nothing comes up. Does not show any movies or string or anything when I click on the buttons. What do I need to do to get the app on my smart tv working again???

Collapse -
I see good advice so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2016 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Mgo app bad

If these fail, always call it in so they can advise on other options.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: How to delete and reinstall a faulty app on Samsung smar
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 26, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

Hi Laura_t82,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Netflix stopped working
by donjuan2754 / November 29, 2013 12:43 AM PST

I am having the same problem, (Netflix has been working fine and when I've just tried to go back into it it comes up with the error message:

'There is a problem in starting netflix (err:server is not started). Please reinstall netflix.'

I've tried to go to the app to delete it so I can reinstall it as advised but I can't see any option anywhere to delete it and it is in the recommended apps section so not sure if it can even be deleted?

Please can you advise on what I can do to sort this problem? I bought the Samsung TV just two weeks ago, model number, UN55F6300AFX,

Collapse -
My advice is to always call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 12:51 AM PST

Samsung's services have to be just right and I've seen folk spend hours or longer when a call would have found Samsung revealing a service failure.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Netflix stopped working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 2, 2013 7:15 AM PST

Hi donjuan2754,

I see there was a firmware update released on Nov 27, 2013. Have you tried updating your TV?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Deleting a faulty app on Samsung TV

I just started having this problem after an upgrade to firmware version 1037.1. To upgrade your firmware, call Samsung and ask for Remote Management (1-800-726-7864 and they will do it for you. (See http://samsungsupport.com/remotesupport/)

I was told that this is new firmware and that it would fix my Netflix "deactivation" problem (The TV would disconnect from Netflix and lose the sign in data. It was not really deactivating) so I upgraded to 1037.1. I got the Samsung version of Netflix's new profiles with 1037.1. I don't get the "deactivation" message anymore but I do get this server error now.

I just saw a thread on the internet that was discussing 1037.1 and it was dated 10/10/13. http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/gfBWQVHYCTw Samsung told me that 1037.1 came out two months ago. I had been complaining about the deactivation for six months.

That may be why it doesn't show up as a new firmware update. Unfortunately, it looks like Samsung has specific updates for specific problems and they may fix one problem but they create others.

Another alternative is to reinstall Smart Hub. While on the SH screen press TOOLS on the remote, cursor down to REINSTALL and press enter. You will get a fresh install of SH and its apps and will have to reactivate or sign in again depending on the apps you use. I did this when I got the server error message since I had just installed what I thought was the latest and greatest firmware. It worked for awhile but then I got another server error message. I then reinstalled SH again, and still got the server error. I powered the TV off/on and tried connecting to Netflix again. I then got a new error "NBPD connector server error Restart Netflix". So I exited and restarted Netflix and it worked. For how long remains to be seen.

This is all a pain in the butt. Samsung really needs to get their act together. Their Smart TVs are trying to mimic PCs without using the quality hardware and software found in those devices. Unfortunately, it seems like they are using their customers as "beta testers" while they figure out how to make things work. They definitely have a problem with Netflix and high quality video streaming. Also with their quality testing............
I say this because my fallback is to a ROKU XD-S box that has been chugging along for years now with no glitches. I paid $100 for it. I paid several hundred dollars more over the price of a regular TV to get a Smart TV that isn't reliable. I should have just bought a regular TV and a new ROKU box. The new ones are faster and work great with the new Netflix app.

I almost forgot, Samsung told me the server error was due to their underestimating the volume of TV sales they had at Christmas time and this resulted in their servers being under capacity for the load. I don't believe this. I think their app/hardware is poorly designed. Regardless, its Samsung's problem and one that may be quite persistent.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by DeeVah65 / January 17, 2014 10:55 PM PST

This worked perfectly for me!

Collapse -
Netflix server error
by Rocket1205 / January 25, 2014 11:06 AM PST

I tried to hit tools on my remote when I was in the smart hub but nothing came up. My tv has been working fine until now and I keep getting this server error. I don't know what to do and I don't understand some of the fixes that they are saying to do.....can someone help me?

Collapse -
In the USA, try 1800SAMSUNG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2014 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Netflix server error

If Samsung has service issues they should help.
Bob

Collapse -
Netflix server error
by ReliabilityMaven / January 26, 2014 4:40 AM PST

Your problem may have been due to a Smart Hub update in process while you were trying to use Tools. If that was the case it should have resolved itself when the update was finished. I have seen that happen without an update notice being presented.
I am occasionally getting the server error problem and the last few times exiting Netflix and reentering it has worked. I did have to power cycle the TV once to clear the problem. This looks like the former "Netflix deactivation" problem except that a log in is no longer required. There apparently is still a problem with the underlying connectivity.

As I mentioned previously, I started getting the server error with firmware version 1037.1. Is it occurring on other firmware versions?

Regarding the Netflix server error, I recently read that Samsung's Netflix app resides on Samsung's servers, not in the TV. Additionally Samsung often has problems resulting in server outages. They just had a major outage recently. Google "Samsung server outage" to get an idea of the extent of the problems.

I called recently to question Samsung about the server error and was transferred to Remote Management. Instead of being transferred to RM, I got a message that said "due to a high volume of calls as a result of Christmas sales your call will be answered in the order in which it was received." 20 minutes later I hung up.
2 hours later the TV worked again. This is indicative of systemic problems, not isolated problems.

I am led to believe Samsung has serious infrastructure problems that add to its Netflix app problems. Insufficient server capacity is a serious problem.
Samsung customer service can't help with server or infrastructure problems and apparently won't identify these problems when you call.

Check this article ( http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/13/08/03/2250247/samsung-smart-tv-basically-a-linux-box-running-vulnerable-web-apps ) This implies a lot of tweaking going on. Tweaking means updates. Updates mean potential operational problems. Not to mention the underlying security problems.

Unlike a PC we have no control over updates and can't set a restore point so we can rollback to a working version of an app.

Samsung would probably help with service problems if they could. If the problems are mostly systemic, until their Smart TVs mature (especially their Netflix app) and they get a robust infrastructure with adequate fail over mechanisms, the problems we are seeing will continue.

Keep a ROKU box or another streaming box as a backup. Just don't use a Samsung box. They probably run off the same server network and use the same apps.

For the record, if a Samsung systems engineer (current or otherwise) would care to chime in clarify what the problems are I'm sure we would all like to hear what you have to say. I've tried to get access to someone who can answer technical questions through Samsung but apparently it is not possible.

Collapse -
My answers were answered when I went to a developer's meet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 5:29 AM PST
http://developer.samsung.com/home.do is the launch point. I know some want to write that all their TVs run Linux but that's untrue. You'd have to attend these seminars and be a developer to learn what's inside.
Bob

PS. In my opinion, Samsung coupled their devices too tightly to their services. Why did I write "services?" Because of what the servers are, they didn't go down.
Collapse -
Answers at a developers meeting
by ReliabilityMaven / January 26, 2014 8:58 AM PST

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Does the fact that all TVs are not Linux mean that some TVs are not susceptible to the problems we are seeing? (referencing Smart TVs)

The problems I and many others are having are with the Netflix app. Is Samsung outsourcing the development of the Netflix app?

From a layman's point of view, it is difficult to differentiate between services and servers. The loss of functionality is what is important.

Could you elaborate on your P.S.? I can construe it to mean that Samsung has a vertical integration model without the expertise to maintain it or the server capacity is insufficient or both.

Earlier today I received another "Problem Starting Netflix Reinstall Netflix" error. I tried the usual remedies to no avail. 45 minutes later the problem was gone. This was the second time this has happened.

I assume this was a "congestion" problem trying to access the server. Like a busy signal that cuts you off rather than putting you in a queue. Does that sound like a reasonable diagnosis to you?

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 9:57 AM PST

But the services appear to be flighty for now. My neighbor returned a Samsung tablet after 3 days of registration issues. I can't guess why Samsung would not code their tablet to stop bugging the owner to register to the point of it being returned.

1. Is Samsung outsourcing the Netflix app?

No. Netflix is the author of the app. It's that simple. Samsung has a platform and invites others to join.

2. As to Samsung's expertise.

I'm sure there are good folk there but something's a mystery. That is, what company that is making a consumer product would cough up "Error Model Bind" messages. Microsoft has take decades to get the message and Smart TV makers are in about year 5. It may take a while longer and I think they are making some progress but the concept of loose coupling is hard for many.

3. Samsung has a FaceBook page for you and all to see the complaints of the moment. I feel for them at times.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by ReliabilityMaven / January 26, 2014 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Netflix app.

I have spoken with Netflix many times regarding their association with Samsung. They said they provide the video and audio data and Samsung formats it to their specs. The recent rollout of the new Netflix interface supports that statement. In firmware version 1037.1 that Samsung recently installed on my TV to fix problems, Samsung adopted some of the features like the Kids aspect and the 20 second auto restart but maintained their standard interface. This article also supports the separate app concept ( http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/13/5098224/netflix-introduces-one-unified-tv-interface-to-rule-them-all )

Netflix said it works with Samsung but Samsung is ultimately responsible for its implementation.

The ROKU3 seems to have fully adopted the new Netflix interface with success. I will reiterate that since I received firmware version 1037.1 I am not having the "deactivation" and "having trouble with this title" messages. However I now have the more serious server error messages that don't resolve quickly.

These errors were apparent in 1037.1 in September of 2013. Samsung apparently updated the interface in this previously issued firmware. To make sense of this I have to assume that I'm still getting similar errors and what is different is the way the firmware responds to them.

I should add that I am pursuing this because after a year of problems and back and forth with Samsung, Samsung decided there was nothing wrong with my television. It was "the app". But they would not even identify "the app". Their lack of forthrightness bothered me more than the malfunctioning of their products/services.

Collapse -
Then do more research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Even here, you can find replies that "Netflix writes the app."

And now with the fall of Net Neutrality it's going to be even more unclear where the problem is.

Good luck in your quests. That is, I thought you were asking about about what I learned so far and it appears you have a quest or some other goal. To do that, I suggest you get into the developer conferences and learn more. It was eye opening for me. But let me part with this. The office I work with does not do TV apps. But as I was there I went to those meetings as well just in case there was something we wanted to explore further.
Bob

Collapse -
Do more research
by ReliabilityMaven / January 27, 2014 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Then do more research.

Research isn't easy as evidenced by the Netflix app situation. But thanks again for your responses.

I want to learn enough about the technology and infrastructure to be an informed consumer and also to help others when I can. Every problem I have experienced on my TV turns out to be common, persistent and obfuscated by Samsung.

Dealing with Samsung is a very frustrating process as most reviewers and forum participants have noted.

It shouldn't be.

Collapse -
"It shouldn't be."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Do more research

As long as they use arcane, obscure messages like "Error Model Bind" I have to agree.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I am having the same problem with M GO
by Crmann696 / January 17, 2016 2:57 PM PST

Please help, I can access it from my phone but not my samsung smart tv.

Collapse -
Then save yourself time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2016 3:15 PM PST

By calling the app failure in. In the USA it's 1800SAMSUNG and in other countries you use samsung.com to find the number.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!