Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to delete addresses in Internet Options/Homepage?

Internet Explorer/Internet Options/Homepage has a lot of addresses for Homepage options that are sites I've visited but never used for my homepage, and I can't get rid of them. Delete doesn't work, control/delete doesn't work. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete addresses in Internet Options/Homepage?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete addresses in Internet Options/Homepage?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting.

In reply to: How to delete addresses in Internet Options/Homepage?

When I check my own IE > Tools > Internet Options, and under the General Tab > Home page, I only see one entry, and no pull down list showing other entries.

Are you saying that in the "Address:" field you have a pull down arrow which lists a number of home page options?

If so that's not one I have heard of before.

However, you could change them using an anti-spyware program. If you tried Spybot Search & Destroy from;
http://www.safer-networking.org/
a free program, it has options to protect you from rogue homepages, and any you have can be changed to a possible home page that is safe, eg;
%SystemRoot%\system32\blank.htm or
http://www.google.com

This doesn't get rid of them, but it changes them to pages that do not show your history of home pages.

Spybot, and also another utility called SpywareBlaster will protect your IE home page from becoming hijacked as well.

Does this help?

Mark

Collapse -
No, it's not a pull-down list

In reply to: Interesting.

Thanks for your time and tips. I printed them out and will try them. It's not my browser history, because when I clear history, they're still there. They only come up when I backspace my homepage (google.com) so it's blank, and then when I type almost any letter of the alphabet, a bunch of homepage addresses pop up starting with that letter. I've never used them for a homepage, and I don't want them there.

Collapse -
Delete browser history....

In reply to: How to delete addresses in Internet Options/Homepage?

This is directly linked to browser history. The same thing will happen if you start to type in an url in the address bar and a list of possibilities appears. Just go tools->internet option->clear history. Check the ''options'' for your homepage again, and it should be cleared. However, as you browse, the list will grow again unless you select ''0'' for ''Days to keep pages in history'' from the same location in internet options.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
'Clear History' doesn't work for Homepage addresses

In reply to: Delete browser history....

I often clear my history and all addresses are eliminated from my Google homepage, but the other addresses are still hiding in the 'choose homepage' box. There's no scroll arrow; they don't appear until I backspace and remove Google as my homepage, and then when I type the first letter (I have addresses starting with almost every letter) suddenly all these addresses starting with that letter appear.
I hope you read this and have another answer for me. Check out your Options/Homepage box and see if the same thing happens to you.

Collapse -
Blimey, I got it!

In reply to: 'Clear History' doesn't work for Homepage addresses

Happy

Well, blow me down with a snowflake!

I got the same phenonmee.... phenomn....phem.... occurance!

When I backspaced in the Home Page field, I got a small drop down box which listed all of my old home pages, and any web sites I had visited.

Even when I tried backspacing ''all the way back'' until the field is empty, then pressed any letter on the keyboard, a list of url's displayed.

Interesting. I don't know the answer, but I no longer think you're going mad, <g>.

Mark
Collapse -
Pluther and MarkFlax == "AutoComplete"

In reply to: Blimey, I got it!

Since IE 5 and 6 turns on the AutoComplete feature by default for Web Addresses (URLs typed in the Address bar) and entries are recorded in the following system registry address for the user account for which logged, I would assume at this point that both of you use AutoComplete,[Q217148]:

Note: Please be advised that AutoComplete and the denoted URL history when clicking the down-arrow on the Address bar in either of these two versions that can be cleared by using the browser's option (Tools, Internet Options, Clear History on the General tab) are not the same thing, [Q323687]. In addition, many clearing type options may be found on the "Paranoia" tab using the "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP."

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Or They could use CCleaner to clean Autocompletes Etc.

In reply to: Pluther and MarkFlax == "AutoComplete"

Collapse -
They're gone! Thanks, Cursorcowboy and Markflax

In reply to: Pluther and MarkFlax == "AutoComplete"

After Mark's last message that he got rid of his homepage hidden addresses, I re-read Cursorcowboy's posting and unchecked "Use Inline Autocomplete." When I restarted my computer, all the addresses were gone at last. THANKS!
Now, if I can figure out why I sometimes get these mini-windows with a yellow box in them and a big red X when I try to access some (very innocent)links, not allowing me to connect to them. Sometimes, clicking the link twice will open them for me, and sometimes the red X pops up every time I try.

Collapse -
Glad to see you're sorted Pluther,

In reply to: They're gone! Thanks, Cursorcowboy and Markflax

Now, your next problem.

I'm not sure what you mean, so more information please, but in any case you may find it better to make a new thread, (people may not read this old one now with so many replies).

If you do, make sure you give details of your system as asked for in red, and more details of the problem, eg;

Is this in IE, (Internet Explorer)?
Have you tried other browsers, (eg Firefox)?
Are these image placeholders, or links, or something else?
Anything else you think will help us to identify the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Please post if you figure it out

In reply to: Blimey, I got it!

Mark, I tried the Microsoft sites Cursorcowboy recommended, and the address list is still there. Clear Auto complete and Clear History don't work for these hidden addresses, and I couldn't find the Paranoia Tab. If you ever figure this out, please post your solution.

Collapse -
Stranger and stranger

In reply to: Please post if you figure it out

Mine's gone m8.

I don't know what I did, but now when I backspace out the Homepage field and type any letter in, I get no drop down list, no nothing.

I think Cursorcowboy got it. He mentions Autocomplete but I had tried that before and there were no ticks in the option for "Use autocomplete for; web pages". I put a tick in, clicked Apply then OK, then went back and took the tick out, then Apply then OK, but still got the drop down box. EVen re-loading IE didn't clear it, (I mean closing IE down and re-starting it).

But, since then, I have rebooted the computer, and I didn't check the Home page field until today, so I wonder if the setting didin't take hold until the next reboot.

So, mine is clear now. I can't think what else I did.

Mark

Collapse -
AUTO SAVING

In reply to: 'Clear History' doesn't work for Homepage addresses

What it basically is doing is auto saving you typing your websites...so if you forgot your favorite one..you would type in the first few letters and pop there goes the address..go into your internet options box and there should be an option for turning it off!..goodluck!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!