Networking & Wireless forum

Question

How to cure "resolving host"

by paieye / May 24, 2015 6:21 PM PDT

For at least 3 years, we have used a Tenda 300D ADSL 212 wifi-router here at home to connect this MacBook Air and my wife's iPad to the Internet. In the last 2 weeks or so, our use of this router for the Internet/Skype is regularly defeated by "Resolving host," even though we do not get this trouble when using other routers elsewhere.

I have used NameBench to change the DNS-details, but we are still having this trouble.

Is the answer simply that it is time to get a new router ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to cure "resolving host"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to cure "resolving host"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: resolving host
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 6:45 PM PDT

Before buying another router, I'd reset your Tenda (htat might involve more than just turning off and on, like a paperclip to press some switch) and see if any of the ideas mentioned in http://www.webnots.com/correct-chrome-resolving-host-issue/ helps.

If using a public DNS in stead of the DNS from your ISP ('elsewhere' they not only have different routers, but probably also a different ISP), the router indeed is a probable cause. Maybe the router also has a DNS-setting in its setup that overwrites the setting in the device?

Kees

Collapse -
How to cure "resolving host"
by paieye / May 25, 2015 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: resolving host

I had already reset the router (which made no difference) and have now carried out all of the suggestions in that useful link, save for the proposal to add names to the DNS-addresses.

I am hoping that this may do the trick, at any rate for this MacBook Air, and shall report back.

My thanks for your prompt help.

Collapse -
'Resolving host'
by paieye / May 25, 2015 8:10 PM PDT

Oh, dear, we are back to where we were. New router ?

Collapse -
Re: router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: 'Resolving host'

That seems a logical next step. But make sure you can return it if it doesn't fix the issue. Or try one from a friend first to see if that makes any difference.

Kees

Collapse -
How to cure "resolving host."
by paieye / May 26, 2015 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: router

I went this afternoon to our local computer-shop, bracing myself for the expense of a new router. However, the helpful assistant said words to the effect of "Before you spend your money buying a new router from us, ring your broadband-provider, and ask for help from them." I rang our provider -- which happens to be PlusNet -- explained the difficulty, and the equally-helpful assistant there adjusted the settings for our router. All is now well.

Thank you !

Collapse -
It seems impossible to cure 'resolving host' ...
by paieye / May 27, 2015 1:37 AM PDT

Oh, dear.... I spoke too soon -- far too soon. Within half an hour, we were back where we had started. I rang PlusNet again, and the charming young lady told me that Chrome must be to blame. When I pointed out that Chrome is working perfectly for me using the local community wifi, or the wifi in a nearby hotel, she could suggest nothing else. And of course my wife's iPad, which uses Safari, is also getting "Resolving host."

I tried to download up-to-date firmware for the Tenda router, but every link produced a "404"-message. I therefore supposed that the fault must lie in the router, and earlier today spent £40 on a new TP-Link router. That has made no difference whatever.

A local technician is coming to see if he can find what is wrong, but I have no very high hopes. Anyway, I shall let you know if he can cure the patient, and meanwhile thank you for coming to my help.

Collapse -
I skimmed your thread and didn't find which DNS you use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 1:50 AM PDT

Tell a little more. Which DNS?

Collapse -
Seems impossible to cure "resolving host."
by paieye / May 27, 2015 4:55 PM PDT

I have tried 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.100, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and numerous others recommended by the technical sites.

Collapse -
192.x.x.x could be iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:03 PM PDT

That's typical of a router that tries to do the DNS work. Since I want to know what DNS is used I use a real DNS and not some middle man.

OK, so are you saying NSLOOKUP fails when we use 8.8.8.8? If so, it's a bum URL.
Bob

Collapse -
Struggling with "resolving host"
by paieye / May 27, 2015 10:41 PM PDT

So is there any way around this ?

Collapse -
For you no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:45 PM PDT

Since NSLOOKUP fails it's likely you are in China or on an ISP that is filtering content.
Bob

Collapse -
I should have added this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:47 PM PDT

Since NSLOOKUP fails, it's either a bum site/url or your ISP/country is interferring.

Remember you didn't write you didn't use NSLOOKUP so I take that as a positive you did the work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re-reading this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:56 PM PDT

Since it works elsewhere it's an ISP or router issue. Normally I'd think of malware but the fact it works elsewhere and you have the Apple products the product looks to be router and/or ISP.

Get the ISP on the line and tell them to fix or you have to leave.
Bob

Collapse -
The mystery of "resolving host"
by paieye / May 28, 2015 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re-reading this.

No, I did not use NSLOOKUP, for the excellent reason that I had not heard of it until I read your posting. I am beginning to think that your suggestion that the ISP is at fault may be correct. The trouble started about 2 weeks ago without our having made any changes that could possibly be relevant. At first, the trouble was intermittent -- a few hours of trouble, then back to normal. The day before yesterday, we were not able to connect to the Internet here at home for even a single minute. Yesterday and this morning, the trouble has vanished, and that includes my having forgotten to go off-line last night.

I had better start investigating alternative ISPs, though I dare say that there is no guarantee that this would not happen with any other provider.

Thank you for your helpful advice.

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 12:13 AM PDT

NSLOOKUP is right up there with PING and other tools we use to sniff out what's up. While I could bet folk know PING, NSLOOKUP is all about DNS (URL and such) resolution, i.e. resolving host.

With NSLOOKUP I can test DNS issues, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Using NSLOOKUP
by paieye / May 31, 2015 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry about that.

First of all, we are still without the Internet at home, so I can go online only via the wonderful Community Wifi provided in some of the nearby villages, and hence my rather infrequent postings for the time being.

Could you just explain to me in simple terms how, given that, I could use NSLookUp ?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2015 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Using NSLOOKUP

But it appears that what's on the web about networking, NSLOOKUP and such is not going to help here. Even if I duplicated the web on NSLOOKUP there is something dead in your internet connection and all we can do is confirm it with this command.

I'm unsure why you are asking me to duplicate the web on this command but given the story the ISP has failed to fix it. Time to stop paying them for non-service.
Bob

Collapse -
LookUp
by paieye / May 31, 2015 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry about that.

I have just now launched Network Utilities, LookUp, and have received this error-message:

192.168.1.1 -> The operation couldn't be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)

Where do I go from here, please ?

Collapse -
Odd choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2015 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: LookUp

Since it's not NSLOOKUP which is a standard tool, there's that. You have convinced me the ISP has to fix this connection.
Bob

Collapse -
Network Utilities and LookUp
by paieye / June 1, 2015 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd choice.

I am relieved that you do not think that it is all due to some blunder on our part. I shall ring PlusNet later today, and meanwhile thank you again for your help

Collapse -
try running tracert in a command box
by James Denison / June 1, 2015 6:56 AM PDT

tracert www.that_site.com

If it's the ISP blocking it, then maybe won't a ping or tracert.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Website%27s-IP-Address

sometimes you can enter the IP address itself and bypass blocking. That works better however on sites which depend on Dynamic DNS because their IP address changes often.

for instance I can get to cnet.com currently also by using 64.30.224.118 in my URL line instead. If you can't figure how to do it, give the site and we can find the IP address for you.

Collapse -
Trouble has been cured
by paieye / June 2, 2015 2:11 AM PDT

A local technician came to us today, and has resolved the whole difficulty. It turns out that a conflict had developed between the router and a Powerline device. It follows that the mistakes were mine, but I was guided by the advice given by other technical sites and the ISP, so do not feel in the least guilty, save for taking up your time.

My thanks to you all.

Collapse -
Didn't find any mention of powerline gear above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2015 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Trouble has been cured

Glad it got sorted.

Collapse -
Answer
MacBook Air Experience - Resolving Host problem fixed.
by BBB2BB2 / August 23, 2016 5:24 AM PDT

I also had this problem with a MacBook Air. Tried many of the suggested solutions but the one that finally worked was to go to the router and separate the 2.4Gh and 5Gh channels. By giving them separate names my MBA connects perfectly every time.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.