Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to create recovery disks on Toshia - missing . .

by pudderjane / November 20, 2007 8:57 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4477 that I bought used. Everything works great, except when I go through the user guide on how to create recovery disks(none came with system). It says that I should have a program called 'Recovery Disk Creator' but it is not on the system. How else can I make recovery disks - I know that buying them is an option at Toshiba = price before shipping is $45.00.

Judy H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to create recovery disks on Toshia - missing . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to create recovery disks on Toshia - missing . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question
by YankeesNYwins / November 20, 2007 9:12 AM PST
Collapse -
In reply to: How to create recovery disks on Toshia - missin
by pudderjane / November 20, 2007 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: Question

I am so sorry, I forgot to add - It is Vista Home Premium.

Collapse -
Save your money.
by YankeesNYwins / November 20, 2007 9:44 PM PST

If you have the product key don't worry about a recovery disk.

Just use any public copy of Windows Vista Home Premium if you ever have to reinstall the operating system.

When you try to activate it will FAIL..call the phone number on the screen and a Microsoft operator will activate it for you...
You must tell her {him} the legal product key off the tower or computer case. She will then read you sets of numbers and activate it for you if it is a legal operating system still on the original hard drive.

Collapse -
Not Really The Easiest For Most....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 21, 2007 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Save your money.

The Recovery discs will install all the drivers and included software that came from the factory, assuming the computer came with Vista from the factory. A Vista CD won't do that... Many users don't want to hunt down all the drivers and programs that came preinstalled and as such, it's much easier to do the Recovery Disc thing.

If you're a scratch builder of computers, then that's different.. You would already have the original drivers and installation discs for all the programs.

Besides, even though there are a lot of Vista computers in homes now,, there aren't a lot of retail Vista discs running around..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, not so from what I have seen.
by YankeesNYwins / November 21, 2007 10:20 AM PST

All the computers that I have seen only have the Vista DVD as the recovery disk...

You are still stuck in Windows XP mode..

Collapse -
(NT) Awesome - Thanks :-)
by pudderjane / November 21, 2007 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Save your money.
Collapse -
Toshiba Gives The Instructions In Your User Guide..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 21, 2007 1:17 AM PST

But not all of their computers have a Recovery Partition which allows for those discs to be created.. Does your computer have a Recovery Partition? (It will be listed as a separate partition "D" or such in "Computer".) If it's not there, then you can't create the discs and other options such as purchasing the Recovery Discs will be necessary.. If it IS there, then recognize that you can perform a Recovery using the partition if necessary. (Likwise, if it's there, then you should be able to find the "Disc Creator" options in your Start Menu.) ON this computer HP, it's located in the Start-All Programs-PC Help and Tools section. Unfortunately, the Recovery partition won't help with a complete recovery should the hard drive die and as such Recovery discs are always a good idea.

You also mentioned that you bought it used.. Is Vista the native operating system or was it upgraded to Vista using a Vista disc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Vista was already on the computer when bought new -
by pudderjane / November 21, 2007 7:40 AM PST

I do have 2 physical hard drives - c: (80)GB and d: (100)GB. c: has 51.3 free of 73 and d: has 93 free of 93.1. But neither says anything about partitions.

It sounds like I need to just get the discs from Toshiba.

Thanks so much for your help !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.