Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

Question

How to create LAN connection with Ethernet cable?

by legendster / May 27, 2015 2:35 AM PDT

So I have a PC which has 2 ethernet ports.

1 port receives internet connection through a RJ45 connector.

I have a normal 30 feet ethernet Cat5 cable, I want to be able to create a LAN connection between a computer on the floor below using this cable and the excess Ethernet port on my Desktop. Note that this is NOT a crossover cable.

Once the LAN connection is setup I want to also share the internet connection through this.

No I cannot buy a router / modem for other reasons.

Can anyone please help me through this process ?

I have tried hooking the other computer up & then bridging the connections and using the IP settings for my internet connection on the virtual bridge. But it doesnt work. I can see the network of other computers once I bridge the connection but no Internet access is available on either computers once it is bridged.

I have also tried to leave the primary connection as it is and simply used ICS sharing on that adapter pointing to the other adapter but that didnt work as well.

Is a proper LAN connection ONLY possible through a crossover cable ??

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd try a virtual router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 2:38 AM PDT

Google "VIRTUAL ROUTER" and you should find the free and well discussed one.

Forget bridging and such. Most folk can't make it work and I won't talk about it.
Bob

Collapse -
thnx but..
by legendster / May 27, 2015 4:29 AM PDT

Thnx BOB I'd definitely search about virtual router but I'd like to explore about Bridging so if you or anyone can shed some light unto it that'd be great.

Collapse -
Only light I know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: thnx but..

It rarely works for me or others. Why would I spend another minute on bridging when I can usethe free Virtual Router?

I'm not writing it doesn't work but I now longer lose a minute thinking about it.
Bob

Collapse -
Because..
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Only light I know.

well I am not just asking you but anyone else that might be interested.

I wanna be able to share files and play lan games that is only possible by a LAN connection (i think..) and I wanna share my internet connection with the other computer.

I am trying the free Virtual Router but I am getting the 'Cannot manage Virtual router, The service is not running'
Yes I have manually turned on the service and I am googling on how to make it work & see how it works.

So unless I have a working alternative I'll continue to seek a way to make the Bridging work. Its ok if you dont wanna share your experience.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Because..

I wonder if there is some security app that's blocking it. My experience with bridging is hit and miss. Since I don't like that I head to what I find to work.

Did you go to the properties of your LAN connection (usually it has a "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" name on it), configure; sharing and tick allow sharing. Restart VR?

Collapse -
study peer to peer then
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thnx but..
Collapse -
great Wiki..
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:06 AM PDT

How does a wiki article about p2p help me ?

Collapse -
OK, think computer to computer
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: great Wiki..

without going through a router, hub, switch, or server. That's peer to peer in it's purest meaning of the phrase, which seems to be what you wanted. Also refered to as "ad hoc" in some iterations, but that term can relate to both peer to peer and those using a router/hub/switch.

https://blog.udemy.com/peer-to-peer-networking/

Collapse -
Answer
yes and no
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 4:39 AM PDT
"
Is a proper LAN connection ONLY possible through a crossover cable ??"

Using older LAP or Ethernet cards you need a crossover cable. Many if not most newer ones don't require it for LAN port to LAN port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

notice the section on automatic crossover.
Collapse -
heard of it..
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: yes and no

I have read that modern adapters dont require manual crossover but I just tried with a newly bought USB ethernet card and a new Lan card but with the same ethernet cable.

I'll get my hands on a crimping tool next day and try to crossover my cat5 cable if nothing works by then.

Collapse -
is there
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: heard of it..

is there a way to know if your cable is being read as a crossover or a straight one ?

Collapse -
other than using a multimeter
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: is there

or comparing the color wires of both ends side by side, I don't know of any other.

Collapse -
reading colors is manual
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:48 AM PDT

Color reading is manual right ? I ve read that most modern adapters can autoconfigure themselves depending on the connection type, is there a way to know if this happens in my case ??

The fact that the network is being detected by the 2nd computer MEANS that bridging actually creates a pro-LAN ?? connection. Its just not communicating the way it is supposed to be.
Keep in mind that the 2nd adapter is set to detect Ip settings automatically.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Collapse -
Oh, USB ethernet
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: heard of it..

that could be your problem right there. Be sure it's actually working with the correct drivers. I was talking a pure LAN to LAN hookup, but now you've "hybridized" the situation.

Collapse -
trying everything
by legendster / May 27, 2015 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, USB ethernet

Tried the LAN to LAN previously. Like I said. Didnt work.
Trying this now. All drivers are correctly installed. Individual computers can be hooked onto the internet and work just fine. The issue is creating a network of 2 computers.

Collapse -
Have you set up networking on them?
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: trying everything

Set up a networking connection for each one using the network connection wizard yet?

From windows XP, same as for W7 too. Notice the bolded question and it's information below it.

"
Selecting your Internet connection method When you run the Network Setup Wizard, you are given the following five choices for connecting your home or small office network to the Internet:

This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer.

This network configuration uses Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share this computer's Internet connection with the rest of the computers on your network. As this illustration shows, this computer, called the ICS host computer, is connected to the Internet. Communications to and from the Internet to and from all the computers on your network are sent through this computer. For more information about using ICS with different network configurations, see To connect your computers together.

This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network.

This computer is part of a home or small office network that connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on the network. A residential gateway is a hardware device through which the computers on the network connect to the Internet. Typically, a DSL or cable modem is connected to the residential gateway, which is connected to an Ethernet hub, as this illustration shows. Internet communication travels through the residential gateway to all of the computers on the network.

If you have an ICS host computer (another computer on your network that shares its Internet connection), this computer can send and receive e-mail and access the Web as if it were connected directly to the Internet. This illustration shows this computer connected to the Internet through an ICS host computer.

This computer connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub.

We do not recommend this network configuration. It exposes all computers on the network directly to the Internet, creating potential security problems. Instead of this, use a secure host device, such as a residential gateway or a computer running Windows XP with ICS enabled.

This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a network yet.

Select this option if you only have one computer and it has an Internet connection as shown in this illustration.

This computer belongs to a network that does not have an Internet connection.

Select this option if you have two or more computers networked together, but do not have an Internet connection as shown in this illustration of an Ethernet network. You can also have a home or small office network with the same configuration using a home phoneline network adapter (HPNA) or wireless adapters. If you have different network adapter types, such as Ethernet, HPNA, or wireless devices, installed in your computer, the Network Setup Wizard can create a network bridge so that all of the computers in your network can communicate.

In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is enabled by default for all network and Internet connections. Windows Firewall helps protect your computers from intrusions from the Internet. You can also download and install a firewall of your own choosing. To enable file and printer sharing, open Windows Firewall in Control Panel, click the Exceptions tab, and then select File and Printer Sharing.

To open Windows Firewall, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Windows Firewall.

"

Collapse -
Answer
Reading this again, BRIDGE IS A FAIL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 8:12 AM PDT

Let's say you have an cable modem connection to the first PC. Since there is no router and therefore no NAT a bridge is the wrong solution. The PC would be bridged onto your cable modem internet connection but since you are allocated a single IP for the first PC it fails.

There is a way to fix this but every ISP charges for the next IP.

For example to get the bridge working we call up the ISP for the second IP which if your internet runs 50 a month they usually want another 50 for the next IP.

Sorry but I don't waste time on bridges for this and other reasons. But there are folk that want to bridge so let them pay?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!