PC Applications forum

General discussion

How to copy data files, jpeg files & cd's using Vista

by glennbraden / February 10, 2008 2:00 PM PST

Both my Gateway GT5658E desktop and my Dell XPS1210 notebook came with MS Vista Home Premium.
I need help.
1. Please tell me how to copy individual files of data, .jpg, avi., mp3, etc. to a cd.
2. Does it matter if the desired copy includes a mix of data, .jpg, .avi, & mp3 or do they all need to be the same?
3. How to make a diskcopy of a CD or DVD?

Should I be able to do all these copy tasks using Vista Home Premium or do I need another program(s)? If I need other s/w, what do you suggest?
I realize this is pretty simple stuff, but I'm having trouble.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to copy data files, jpeg files & cd's using Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to copy data files, jpeg files & cd's using Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Saving Data
by welrdelr / February 10, 2008 8:52 PM PST

Create a folder and simply:
Choose the item,
right click on it
choose copy
go to the folder
right click
choose paster.
You can group copy by holding down the left mouse button and moving it for a square. Grabbing an icon in the square by holding down the button after you make the selection.
Copy here if not move here.
The last I remembered, vista had a "make a cd" option. If not, then go to the multimedia program and choose the cdwriter. program A simple data cd will do.

Collapse -
Burning CDs...
by John.Wilkinson / February 11, 2008 2:07 AM PST

1.) Insert a blank CD into your CD/DVD burner, open (My) Computer, and double-click the CD/DVD drive. You'll be prompted to "Prepare this blank disc." After completion you can drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste files to the CD/DVD drive as you like and they will be immediately burned to disc. (Note: There is no 'erase' option for CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R media, so if make any/all changes to the files before sending them to that drive.)

2.) In the case of backing up files they can be a mix of any/all file types you have. This is not true, however, if you're burning a DVD movie or creating an Audio CD to be played on a standard DVD player.

3.) One way is to open the drive containing the CD/DVD, selecting all files/folders, and then copying-and-pasting them to another (recordable) CD/DVD. However, that doesn't apply to Audio CDs and DVD movies. In those cases you'll need to use a third-party program to duplicate the discs.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?