HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to copy 1 folder into 200 folders at once

by jabbaman / July 21, 2004 7:54 PM PDT

I have a 2003 server, and i have to copy 1 folder into 200 folders in 1 directory. I suppose this is possible with the xcopy command, but i don't know how. Can anybody help me with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to copy 1 folder into 200 folders at once
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to copy 1 folder into 200 folders at once
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to copy 1 folder into 200 folders at once
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 10:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Mr. Proffitt not fit as moderator
by jabbaman / July 29, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

Bob,

I don't appreciate the style of reaction on my post. As a moderator you should at least show some respect. I am here to find answers (HELP)on things i don't know. I am IT staff, but my expertise is Lotus Domino and partially Windows. Nobody knows everything, not even you. I think an apoligy would be in place.

Collapse -
None.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

As an IT lead, such skills, if not present are obtained by book or by acquisition of staff.

I can offer direction that XCOPY is not the answer and offered that not only a copy is needed, but permissions afterwards.

My view on IT staff that needs training is indeed sharp. Some won't like it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Mr. Proffitt
by jabbaman / July 29, 2004 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: None.

I came here to get help, not to be critizised. I thought providing help to people with other expertise or lack of knowledge was the intention of this forum, but obviousely i was wrong. If you ever need help with Lotus domino, i will be most happy to help you, without holding the lack of knowlege against you.

Collapse -
You got help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2004 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Mr. Proffitt

I noted you would have to write a batch file, then noted you should alter the permissions.

My view on IT staff training is simple. If they can't do this, then they need training.

Is that a problem?

Bob

Collapse -
Here's a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2004 11:58 PM PDT

If you want to find help writing this batch file, why not ask for details on where to find the information or training. Or toss out your first shot at the batch file so others can see where it fails?

Remember that permissions item has to be covered off or the file put into everyone's direction may end up as unreadable by the user.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.