PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How to cool the components of the PC tower?

by endymion_is_klint / January 25, 2006 1:33 AM PST

The subject matter is for our research paper on the best and inexpensive cooling methods for the PC tower. We would like to seek your help by telling us your methods or ways on how you cool the components inside your PC tower. Please include the brand and price of the cooling system if there are any. Ty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to cool the components of the PC tower?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to cool the components of the PC tower?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Will you be sharing this paper with us?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 1:36 AM PST

A web site of the paper would be nice. Since this is a wide field, can you share what you have so far?

Bob

Collapse -
Our research paper
by endymion_is_klint / January 25, 2006 11:27 AM PST

Our research paper is all about prolong the computer life through innovative cooling methods. We would like to prove that by cooling the PC tower (eliminating or minimizing the heat generated by the components of the PC tower) would extend the life span of the PC, and you don't have to buy the most expensive cooling peripherals to do this. So, we are looking for people's advice on this topic, and we hope that we could share these information to you. So far in our research, we have experimented on running the PC for 12 hours and checking the temperature generated by the major components of the PC like the CPU, Hard drive, GPU, CD-Rom and etc. The room temperature that the PC is working is about 30-33 degrees Celsius (from 11:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.) and the fans inside the PC tower are turned off (no proper ventilation inside). We have concluded (obviously) that the component that generates the most heat is the CPU, followed by the GPU and the Hard drive. So... we are looking for advices to minimize the heat of these components... without spending too much money of course. Any ideas???

Collapse -
Plenty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Our research paper

I'll share when I see your web site and the work in progress.

Are you making this available or just collecting information?

Bob

Collapse -
For now...
by endymion_is_klint / January 26, 2006 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: Plenty.

For now, we are gathering information and ideas from different people with different experience on this topic. We believe that by gathering datas through different people we can make our paper more comprehensive. We are still at the starting point of our research, so we can't place our work in the web, however, we are planning to do so...

Collapse -
For now...
by endymion_is_klint / January 26, 2006 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: Plenty.

For now, we are gathering information and ideas from different people with different experience on this topic. We believe that by gathering datas through different people we can make our paper more comprehensive. We are still at the starting point of our research, so we can't place our work in the web, however, we are planning to do so.

Collapse -
Possibly a waste of time due to the fact
by Ray Harinec / January 26, 2006 11:15 PM PST

that there are numerous reliability studies that demonstrate the relations between temperature and componenets.

ARINC started the ball rolling in 1947 when they were commissioned by the airline industry to find ways to prolong the life of their electronics equipment. The government has funded many Physics of Failure studies with many missile programs such as the minuteman program. Also NASA studies for space systems.

Twould be difficult to believe that you will find anything that is not already fully documented.

Collapse -
Additionally, if you go to places
by Ray Harinec / January 27, 2006 12:05 AM PST

such as the gamers forums, and places such as tomshardware, anandtech, and many others you will find a wealth of info, including some really innovative liquid cooling solutions. Water cooling kits are now readily available for cooling the newer hot CPU's.

Collapse -
Yes i know
by endymion_is_klint / January 27, 2006 3:01 AM PST

Yes, there are alot of information on the different cooling gadgets in the net. But basing on or experience, we had a hard time of choosing or even buying one because there are many cooling devices to choose from. Although you might say that a specific gadget can efficiently cool the PC but there are many factors that can affect its performance or the acquirement of the cooling gadget such as: environmental factors, location, availability of the cooling system in the market (not all parts of the world have the cooling system), the capacity of the person to buy the cooling system (cost), and many more. In our simple research, we like to find out what is the common, simple, inexpensive, and easy to do methods that can cool the system. The aim of our simple research is to give options for PC users, and its soul purpose is not to demoralize a certain company, cooling devices or methods. Happy

Collapse -
the battle
by linkit / January 27, 2006 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: Yes i know

I usually try to keep costs down by using air cooling and not liquid. Next is a case with good air flow (inagination is important here). Finally, the quest then becomes how best to maximize air cooling while minimizing noise.

The battle: cfm vs. db

Collapse -
by endymion_is_klint / January 27, 2006 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: the battle

Thanks you for the info.

Collapse -
I side with Robert
by Ray Harinec / January 25, 2006 1:50 AM PST

however, 3 things:

Don't put 10 pounds in a 5 pound box, such as Dell, HP Compaq do.

Use a top exhaust fan.

Use a side intake fan [in lieu of the cone, if a cone is supplied].

Collapse -
I agree too...
by nklein-209599638161026883 / January 26, 2006 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: I side with Robert

However, I put my computer on a grate that i built in to my desk, which keeps ALL sides of my computer well-ventilated, including the bottom. Don't forget, the temperature of the tower affects the temperature of the components.

I would also be interested in seeing your conclusions, on a website if possible.

-nklein

Collapse -
How about dust?
by endymion_is_klint / January 27, 2006 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: I agree too...

We actually experimented on intentionally putting a lot of dust on a hardrive and notiiced that its temperature actually increases by 0.5-1 degree C. and its a known fact that dust can hasten the degradation of the hardware. So, what is your solution to this problem since your "tower" (we call it system unit)is so well ventilated?

Collapse -
about dust
by linkit / January 27, 2006 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: How about dust?

Filters on case air intake vents seem to do the trick. Either from case mfg or homemade. Regular cleaning (depending on amt. of dust in environment) of filters.

I haven't performed any controlled dust/thermal insulation experiments on heatsinks, but you may want to test dust on heatsinks. My hypothesis: Dust is larger heat problem for heatsinks than HD's.

Collapse -
That's right
by endymion_is_klint / January 27, 2006 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: about dust

i thought as much, but it was quite a hastle to remove the cpu heat sink than the hdd.

about this homemade filter...any suggestions of the type of filter material?

Collapse -
Filters and cooling....
by klonestar / January 27, 2006 4:41 PM PST
In reply to: That's right

I would guess a "Heppa" type filter would work great as they filter out down to microns.

Wish I had the site location. I once read a really good rundown on maximum cooling with fans. The quiet high output type. A guy ended up using 7 fans in his high end gaming tower and ran a constant 87 degrees no matter what the ambient air temp. was.

If I remember correctly his "angle" was making sure there was absolutely no dead air space and for every area he had both intake and exhaust fans. I think he used smoke to chart the systems airflow and once he got it all figured out there was constant air moving through his whole system.

On the idea of this creating more dust his take was what came in one fan was blown out the other. The dust had noplace to hide and was not allowed to settle.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Ken

Collapse -
Is it advicable
by endymion_is_klint / January 29, 2006 1:39 AM PST

to use too many fans in the PC tower? What is the disadvantage of using too many fans?

Collapse -
not advisable
by linkit / January 29, 2006 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Is it advicable

Disadvantages for too many fans:
* Greater noise!!!
* More power draw from PSU
* Counterproductive/inefficient air flow

My rule is to use cases that can accommodate the largest fans (say 120mm or larger). In general, a larger fan can move more air than a smaller fan rotating at the same speed (more cfm per rpm) and do it more quietly (lower db lever).

If you want to have good air flow over the heatsinks that help to cool your hottest components, don't insert too many fans that blow against or even perpendicular to the general air flow of the computer case.

Some cases have a separate wind tunnel for PSU, hard drives, etc.

Collapse -
Study air flow through the case!!
by jcrobso / January 30, 2006 12:42 AM PST

How the air flows through the case is very important. go AMDs web site and do some reading, they have some examples of recomended air flow.
In todays PSU the fan will only cool the PSU.
In many cases I cut out the area where the fan goes and use a wire fan guard, those small holes they have in the cases are too small to get good air flow. I found that a 40CFM will only about 15~20 with the stock cutout.
I put a exhast fan just under the PSU most cases have cut out for it.
Many cases have fan spot at the lower front of the case I put a fan there, this blows over the HD. Most cases now have a fan in the side cover, I make sure the fan is blowing IN.
Panty hose makes a good air filter, but the down side of ANY filter is it must be keep clean or it will do more harm than good.
You can put a $100 fan/heat sink on the processor, but if you don't have good air flow thought the case it won't mean a thing.
I use the stock HS/fan or but a good $20 one. But I make sure I have good air flow. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!