General discussion

How To convert Usb Stick To Nfts

hi all i formatted my usb to fat by mistake and since i cant format it to nfts any other ways to change it to nfts with windows xp

also an off topic question i have a hard drive in my xp computer but i cant create new partition with diskpart or diskmanagement.msc are there other ways to do partition

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How To convert Usb Stick To Nfts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How To convert Usb Stick To Nfts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why can't you

Why can't you format it as NTFS? Copy any files on it off to the computer hard drive, format it as NTFS, then copy the files back. What exactly is the problem?

- Collapse -
Re: formatting from fat to ntfs

No, that can't be done. The type of filesystem is determined when the partition is created. Think about the last sentence to see a possible way.
The other way is shown in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

And for your other question: you need a partition editor to do this in XP. Try paid Partition Magic or free GParted.

Kees

- Collapse -
I've done it

I've done it a couple of times using nothing more than the Windows format tool. Granted this was on 7, not XP, but I don't think the program has really been updated in any significant way (if at all) since then.

This was with a USB flash drive. I formatted it as FAT32, then needed to format it as NTFS because I had a file over the FAT limit, and all I did was right click on the drive icon in Computer, select Format, toggle NTFS, and hit the format button.

- Collapse -
I didn't know that worked.

That leaves the question why I doesn't work with the OP.

Kees

- Collapse -
Haven't tried the convert command with a USB stick
- Collapse -
(NT) Oops! Duplicated Kees suggestion....ignore
- Collapse -
No problem at all.

It's a different link, so difficult to see.

Kees

- Collapse -

thanx steven for link ill try that now also thanx kees for that link and partition help
@jimmy its weird formatting a usb stick to nfts has improved alot since xp i think its an os problem

- Collapse -
thanx again

thanks all again Grin just solved it, the nfts format option was blacklisted on my pc but on my friends pc it seemed to work

CNET Forums