Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

How to convert Outlook conversation view to forum posts

by mrjmh / April 5, 2012 8:27 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software that can export a discussion from Outlook into a threaded forum post. I realize this probably requires some type of forum host application running somewhere, perhaps SharePoint, but maybe not. There might be a way to export, for example, an Outlook "conversation" (from conversation view) to an xml file describing how the individual messages are related, for example.

Any ideas appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to convert Outlook conversation view to forum posts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to convert Outlook conversation view to forum posts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There is always
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

There is always some programmer that could craft an app to do such things. But what I find interesting is that many think that all such things are written. Many are but this one I didn't find. The main reason is that the market for such seems small.
Bob

Collapse -
Example
by mrjmh / April 6, 2012 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: There is always

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the market is probably small. In our case, however, it would be very useful, and probably in other similar cases too. We do software development and a lot of discussion happens on email, sometimes inadvertently. Someone might pose a question on email to a select few, and this results in reply-all ping pong. In the end, there is sometimes a very useful discussion with lots of nuance etc., and we often realize it would benefit the full team if they had been on the To/Cc list from the start. By then it is too late, so the next best thing would be to publish the whole discussion on a wiki or forum. At that point, it would be useful to do so in a way that preserves the who-replied-to-what chain.

I also was not able to find anything that does that. The market probably is small, but I'm still surprised not to have found something given how useful it would be in the above case (which is probably quite common in product/software development teams). Forum software allows people to subscribe to receive digests and individual posts as email. Something going the other direction seems like a natural fit.

Regards

Collapse -
You made a good case for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Example

And with that you made a good case for not using email client software for such discussions.

Sorry that I don't have a shrink wrapped or app for that. I know at the office (we are programmers and more) there could be such an app or script generated but as it's only going to work with this or that email client and this or that wiki or forum, such a thing screams "custom", "one off" and "expensive."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.