General discussion

How to convert DAT to Mpeg?

i copied video from a vcd to my harddrive and i want to cut some parts of it. im using pinnacle and it doesnt recognize dat files.. how do i convert it to mpeg or avi or other files that pinnacle recognizes? thanks for the help..

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to convert DAT to Mpeg?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to convert DAT to Mpeg?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I renamed the file for A.DAT to A.MPG
- Collapse -
exactly how do you do that?

i renamed it but it still is a DAT file.. i plave xxx.mpg but its still dat...

- Collapse -
Some can't rename a file.

Those with Windows based computers may have hidden the file extenstions. When they rename a file, it's real name changes from...

this.DAT

to

this.MPG.DAT

And you end up with a .DAT file still.

If you need help in renaming files, try out Computer Newbies forum.

Bob

- Collapse -
Some will work and some will not.

Download Ulead "dvd moviefactory3" for a trial run. It will work. Sonic "Mydvd" will not work and my guess is that Pinnacle will not work either.

- Collapse -
thanks sir

i finally solved the problem through your "renaming" solution.. thanks

- Collapse -
Disregard my last reply.

I'd delete it, but it shows what could have been the issue.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info