Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

how to connect using telnet..

by dhanushka888 / December 22, 2012 3:54 AM PST

Is it possible to access a computer from another computer with using telnet and that both computers are connected to internet using 2 usb dongles??

my purpose is remotly access one computer which has hardware(a home automation embedded device) that connect with serial port. that computer also has telnet server which respond to that hardware..
I used other computer's windows telnet client to acces..

I tried access using first computr's(hardware connected) private IP(ipconfig shown) and public IP(get from googled "show my ip") ..
but i couldn't connect.
(but i can work device properly using one computer and through it's own telnet client)
how to do that without router or any other thing.
pls help me..

dhanushka888 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to connect using telnet..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to connect using telnet..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dhanushka888

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:12 AM PST

Your stock OSes don't have a telnet server so there is nothing for telnet to connect to.

You claim that the PC has a telnet server but how did you configure said server to be reachable via the internet? I don't see where you put this PC in to the DMZ or tried your hand at port forwarding on the router.
Bob

Collapse -
pls explain this
by dhanushka888 / December 22, 2012 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: No.

ok thanks Bob,
my device has telnet server software(wrtten in vb6). it can access succesfully using assigned port number and IP address(ipconfig shown when i connect internet through dongle ) at same computer.
i dont knw about DMZ.
pls look at following steps,
1.when we connect another computer's telnet server software through public internet,and that computer should belong to some network.
2. that computer's ethernet port should have private range ip like 192.168.10.3
3. that whole network has one ip which should be public ip(in router 120.10.10.5 23 or some thing) and that ip connect with internet.
4. when we access from internet that 192.168.10.3 computer and port 23, we should go that network's public Ip address(120.10.10.5 23 ) and that router should forward my access to that 192.168.10.3 computer's port 23.
5. when we enter telnet client that 120.10.10.5 23, how that router forword my request to 192.168.10.3 23computer..//

pls expalin this scenario..... thank you. Happy

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: pls explain this

But you can put the server PC IP address into the DMZ on the router. I can't write at length about what is a single sentence and a single router entry.

If you need more about the ROUTER DMZ then you hit the usual search engine as anything I would write is there.

Port forwarding is quite a bit of setup. I can't teach that here. The owner must dive in with more research as its setup varies with the router so again, it's back to the owner. They must be comfortable with doing this since they get to support it.
Bob

Collapse -
DMZ or Port Forward?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Sorry I see where I didn't write which to use. You use one or the other. DMZ is a snap as it's one entry and we are done as the PC is now getting all incoming requests. Port Forwarding is safer in my opinion but some owners are not network proficient so we start with the DMZ for them.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you sir now i have an idea..
by dhanushka888 / December 23, 2012 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: DMZ or Port Forward?
Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!