Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

how to connect to speakers through wireless laptop

I recently set up a Belkin wireless G router for my laptop (XPpro) and was wondering how I might go about connecting to my Harmon-Kardon speakers via this setup? I've been told that if the speakers don't have wireless capability built in then it won't work....if this is the case, can anyone provide an explanation as to why?!? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to connect to speakers through wireless laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to connect to speakers through wireless laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
get a wireless music adaptor

In reply to: how to connect to speakers through wireless laptop

such as one of linksys (WMB54G) or apple express..

So, your friend that said:
''if the speakers don't have wireless capability built in then it won't work....if this is the case, can anyone provide an explanation as to why?!? ''

why? .. figure this out... If a car doesn't have a tire, it won't roll..

Collapse -
clarify please...

In reply to: get a wireless music adaptor

let me reword my Q - is there any way to connect my powered speakers to my router in order to get music on my laptop to play through them? I guess I don't fully understand why that type of info can't be sent wirelessly.

Collapse -
an explanation as to why

In reply to: how to connect to speakers through wireless laptop

you need a transmitter AND a reciever...

i suggest you check out gakadas post:

get a wireless music adaptor

such as one of linksys (WMB54G) or apple express..

Collapse -
bear with me here...

In reply to: an explanation as to why

OK....lemme try this another way...why can i not hook up my old computers speakers to my router in order that i may play mp3's that are stored on my laptop through them? It seems logical to me that since my laptop is communicating with my router for internet access, communicating with the router to operate my speakers should be possible too?? Is the issue the type of data being sent? I realize the speakers require the use of a driver, which is on my laptop. Is this why it won't work? If so, why is a direct connection necessary in this case?

Collapse -
Yes, you can control your laptop

In reply to: bear with me here...

through a wired or wireless router,

which one you want?:

Speaker --> Router ---> Laptop = NO

Router -->> Laptop -->> Speaker = YES

Speaker -->> WMB54G or Airport express etc. -->> Router -->> Laptop = YES

You can plug any NETWORK device to the router...

The Speaker is not a NETWORK Device... so you need something to help the speaker to be known to the network.

Collapse -
help with speaker question

In reply to: Yes, you can control your laptop

Thanks for the one of the few replies that broke things down clearly without being pointlessly snarky.

Collapse -
Since this is a week end...

I'll give you a tips, that you can use:

Router -->> Laptop -->> Speaker

then turn the volume UP, this way, the sound will travel wirelessly throughout your home.

Have a nice week end.

Collapse -
look at it this way

DVD(transmitter) movie -->TV (reciever)

but DVD(transmitter) Audio--> speakers requires a reciever -something like this

what you are asking is the equivalent of "can i listen to cable TV via my stero speakers without connecting them?"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.