HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to Connect Bose Lifestyle with Pioneer VSX-1019

by kail73 / November 27, 2009 5:45 AM PST

Hi all, I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AV reciever and i am clueless on how to connect my existing Bose Lifestyle 35 system to the AV reciever. All jewel speakers are connected to the Bose Subwoofer and i am , how to set the connections. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Connect Bose Lifestyle with Pioneer VSX-1019
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Connect Bose Lifestyle with Pioneer VSX-1019
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure you can do this.
by minimalist / November 27, 2009 10:00 AM PST

From what I understand, Bose uses proprietary connections for many of their systems.

Collapse -
Any other alternatives?
by kail73 / November 27, 2009 10:13 AM PST

Are there any other workarounds? I hope i am the not first person, facing this problem.

Looks like if nothing works, i have to return this system.

Collapse -
what kind of inputs does the bass module have?
by minimalist / November 27, 2009 11:48 AM PST

5 channels plus a sub input? That will determine if you can use any sort of workaround.

My gut tells me that Bose is using some really wonky system since everything runs through the sub woofer before it goes to the satellites. It sounds like you can't really power the other five channels directly off the amp. I may be wrong, but from what I am reading online, its almost as if the bass module powers the whole system.

Collapse -
YSubWoofer has all connections
by kail73 / November 27, 2009 12:25 PM PST

Yes you are right. The Sub woofer has all the satellite connections and one S-video(sort of cable) connects to the Bose System. Looks like the power to the sattelite speakers are controlled at the subwoofer. The only way i can think of, is to find a adaptor which can connect the Subwoofer cable to the Pioneer system and if successfull, it will function as usual. But i may not be able to use all the features of pioneer.

Collapse -
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
by minimalist / November 27, 2009 11:28 PM PST

(especially since you probably spent a lot of money on the Bose system) but it sounds like that will not work. It appears that Bose is running a proprietary audio cable into the bass module which then handles all the amplification and deals with speaker crossovers. Bose is making sure you remain stuck in their little walled garden.

Most other surround systems don't work this way (although some cheaper HTIB's limit the future flexibility of your system too). Generally, AV receivers have separate outputs for each speaker and handle all the power and the crossover frequencies internally. IF, and this is a big if, you could find out what frequencies Bose uses for crossover between the bass module and the satellites you might be able to hook up the satellites to the receiver, set the crossover frequencies there and find a way to feed the sub signal to the bass module (which has its own power). This of course all depends on whether the satellite cables are standard speaker cables and if you can find some sort of converter to turn a standard sub connection into the weird Bose s-video looking connection. And remember, you could easily screw up your speakers if the satellite impedances are odd or the crossover is set incorrectly so tread cautiously and dig around on AV forums on the net (AVS Forum is a good place to start)

You could call Bose and see if they have any ideas but I think I already know what their answer will be: Buy another Bose system. Lame.

Collapse -
Thank you
by kail73 / November 28, 2009 12:43 AM PST

I appreciate your help. I have already sent an email to Bose and i will be contacting them as well. I am loosing hopes and i think i will return this, if i don't find a solution in couple of days.

Collapse -
Question: why did you want the new receiver?
by minimalist / November 28, 2009 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Did the Lifestyle 35 control center conk out or something?

If you just want the ability to hook up HDMI inputs (cable boxes, game machines, blu-ray players) its possible that Bose would sell you a control box for all that to plug into your existing system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.