TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

How to connect Akai Lct2715 TV to Sony STR-k660p

by givie1 / July 24, 2013 5:24 PM PDT

I have connected RCA audio-out from TV to RCA audio-inputs on the k660p digital control center. Need more expertise. Help please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect Akai Lct2715 TV to Sony STR-k660p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect Akai Lct2715 TV to Sony STR-k660p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ok...
by Oldartq / July 24, 2013 6:17 PM PDT

so what's the problem?

Collapse -
I get no sound from the speakers.
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

No sound from surround sound receiver from tv. If I turn the surround option on in the TV's menu setting, I still get nothing from the Tv to the receiver.

Collapse -
You can't pass along surround via that connection
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

Surround sound will only be available via digital optical or digital coaxial, not analog R/L RCA. A mono or stereo signal may be passed along via those ports though.

Try setting the TV to 'external audio', then set the receiver to the input you've assigned there, then to 'stereo' input.

Collapse -
I'll give it a try.
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 5:41 AM PDT

Shouldn't I get some type of signal even through this current config-even though it's not surround? I don'tsee an ext-speaker setting in the OSD menu. I'll check the back of the sys.

Collapse -
You should have been able to get sound but...
by Oldartq / July 25, 2013 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try.

since you don't, then I think it's time for some trouble shooting. Maybe try connecting a dvd player instead of the tv. Anyway you know how to isolate the problem, right? You want to find out if the problem is the tv, or receiver, or the cable. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's check something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

We know not to expect surround sound from a TV due to HDCP controls and since that's well discussed I won't go deep into that here.

-> the manual was tough to find. Please folk, supply the manual for these things to speed up replies.

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Akai-LCT2715-TVs-manual/id/741ci153/t/2/

I see a stereo output but the document did not detail signal levels. Try a headphone there.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. It appears the audio out does not require any setting
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's check something.

Unless the set is on mute the manual seems to write there is always audio on the audio out jacks.

Collapse -
Control Ctr. Manual
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Looks pretty basic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Control Ctr. Manual

Does this amp work with anything else? The date is a gimme this thing could be dead.

Collapse -
Other components
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks pretty basic.

It works fine with an old Colby DVD player just fine.

Collapse -
That's good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Other components

Now that that is working, steal the connection off the back of the DVD and plug that into the TV.

Remember I'm making a big guess you looking at the back of the TV and using the Audio out RCA jacks that sit all by themselves to the left far away from the component input jacks.

What I read in the manual is that the TV needs NO changes. While the TV is playing and audible, jack in and be sure the RCA hits bottom but not so hard you bend the back, crack the plastics or go right the front (calm down Hulk!)
Bob

Collapse -
Another question/comments
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Other components

Is there a cable or satellite box in the mix?

FWIW, Analog output on many low end hdtvs will not pass through audio from an external source. If you tune in a TV station it will though. So if your plan is to route the DVD player audio through the HDTV to the Sony, that's not likely going to work. Audio connection should go directly to the Sony receiver, and video to the Akai TV.

Collapse -
Video inputs
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks pretty basic.

What if I connect the TV audio-outs to the video-inputs on the control ctr? Just want to know if the TV audio-outs are sending any signal at all. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) Ahh, I think my last reply is what I'd do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Video inputs
Collapse -
Okay Standby
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 7:36 AM PDT

TV audios-out to the DVD Rca's Red/white-L/R correct? Now what, should I start praying? (<:{{

Collapse -
Not what I wrote.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay Standby

steal the connection off the back of the DVD and plug that into the TV.

What you write differs.
Bob

Collapse -
I think the solution is hidden on page 16 and 17.
by Oldartq / July 25, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay Standby

What's your input setting now? If it "analog" then switch to "dolby pro logic" and see what happen. Anyway, give the other setting a try. Good luck.

Collapse -
No luck yet.
by givie1 / July 25, 2013 12:45 PM PDT

I'm starting to think the audio outs on the TV may be out, or the audio-ins on the control ctr are bad. When I plugged the TV audio-outs into the DVD inputs, I got nothing but I know these work. I also switched cables and got nothing from either inputs both trying different cables.

Collapse -
Ok, I think I found it.
by Oldartq / July 25, 2013 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: No luck yet.

Read audio input mode on page 20. No charge if it doesn't work, hehe.

Collapse -
Stupid question
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2013 11:58 PM PDT

Why do you refer to the device as a 'control ctr'(?) It's a receiver, FWIW.

Hopefully p.20 will do the trick Wink

Collapse -
I think that's how Sony label the device inputs selection.
by Oldartq / July 26, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Stupid question

It's call the "control center".

Collapse -
Audio in looks OK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2013 3:14 AM PDT

It worked from the DVD so that was my clue to steal that from the DVD and use the known good cable as well.

If you read the TV's manual, there were not settings to change there and the only warning was to not mute the TV.

Your reply didn't inspire confidence you were going to try this.
Bob

Collapse -
Been off the grid but I'm Back!!!!!!!!!!!
by givie1 / July 28, 2013 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio in looks OK

Using my advance troubleshooting horse-sense and a bit of dead reckoning I pulled out coaxes,s-videos, and those YPrPc or what ever the u-know what they call'im and my magnifying glass and the schematics. Now I HAVE A PERFECT PICTURE but have not yet tested the surround sound. I also hooked up a newer dvd/vcr combo which made the wiring easier. By the way that stuff on page 20 is exactly half of what I've done wheww! Just gotta fire up that old control CTR and start testing the input buttons for surr-sd! I'LLLllll be BAaackkk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.