Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to configure Outlook Express for a Netgear router

by jrcameron / February 17, 2005 6:50 PM PST

Hi,
I have installed a netgear dg834g/UK router and it connects to the ISP web site ok but My Outlook Express
cannot find the server,it is configured for a dialup/broadband connection using a modem and now I have put the router into use instead of the Modem it fails to connect and I am at a loss for what to do next,and I have to go back to the modem for Emails.Any suggestions please? Thank John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to configure Outlook Express for a Netgear router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to configure Outlook Express for a Netgear router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you using the same ISP
by glb613 / February 17, 2005 7:06 PM PST

as you did before the router? When you say configured for a dialup, what do you mean?

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can change how it tries to connect to the internet. Since Outlook Express shares how you connect, the settings will effect how it sends/receives mail. Open IE, go to tools, internet options. Click on the connections tab and select never dial a connection. Be sure to select apply before you close. Try OE again and see if it works.

Collapse -
how to configure Outlook Express for a Netgear router
by jrcameron / February 18, 2005 8:52 AM PST

Hi glb613,
I am using the same ISP BTyahoo!broadband.I have tried doing what you asked without success.IE connects without any problems,I would imagine it is something simple that is beyond me.At the moment I am swapping my connection between two machines one using the router and the desktop using the broadband modem to get my emails .I wonder if I should delete the broadband modem and use the settings for LAN ,whatever they should be. Thanks for your help.regards John

Collapse -
Configure Netgear Router for Outlook Express.
by gcclg123 / February 18, 2005 9:16 AM PST

Are you using WinXP and Windows IE? Do you have instructions from Yahoo-Broadband to configure settings?

Collapse -
Configure Netgear Router for Outlook Express
by jrcameron / February 20, 2005 9:02 AM PST

Hi gcclg123, I am using XP pro with all updates & IE 6.I have asked for help but it is a bit slow getting sorted from BTyahoo.So I dont know what to alter.IE works fine and all the other progs are Ok as well,its just that I cannot access my Emails.I presume I have to alter the setting in Outlook express. Thanks for your help. Regards John

Collapse -
Configure Netgear
by gmperry / February 25, 2005 9:50 AM PST

I am also runing a Netgear Router with a Modom. Can you get your e-mail by bypassing the Router Gordon

Collapse -
BB and OE
by Papa Echo / February 18, 2005 11:32 AM PST

* What is the full OE error message ?

* Are you able to connect to other web sites other than your ISP's ?

* Do you use a firewall, e.g. Zone Alarm ?

* Does your ISP has different mail servers specially or Broad Band access ?

Collapse -
configuring Netgear router for outlook express
by jrcameron / February 21, 2005 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: BB and OE

Hi papa Echo,
The error message is "error 8002801c accessing the OLE registry"
/iis help/common/500-100.asp line17
IP add 169.254.196.23
submask 255.255.0.0
The IP address and submask above is not for the router.

My IE works ok on various sites including BtYahoo!(My ISP) I have ticked the box to stop the dial up software working for Outlook Express .I Don't use a software firewall only the routers,I have stopped the XP firewall.
I am not sure about the Servers for broadband.Thanks for your help John

Collapse -
correct your mail server
by SQuRilLe / February 22, 2005 10:14 PM PST

this is a bit obscure but try this:

select TOOLS -> ACCOUNTS... ->

There should be an account called "mail"

select this and click "Properties"
then click "Servers" tab at the top

if your "incoming mail" just says "mail" then you need to change it to something like
"mail.BTyahoo!broadband.com"
or
"mail.btbroadband.com.uk"
or something else

the exact address is probably similar to you ISP's home page just with "mail." in frount of it.

i realise that this post is a bit blurry in that matter but see if this sets you on the right track.

Collapse -
Thank you
by jrcameron / February 25, 2005 6:44 AM PST

Hello SQuRilLe,
Thank you for your help,unfortunately it didnt work but I will keep on trying as it must be something like that. Many Thanks John

Collapse -
You are not alone?
by MatthewBridges / April 6, 2005 7:11 PM PDT

Hiya,
yes I am having similar probs: switched to BT Broadband but am trying to use my old mail accounts on wanadoo, recieving mail ok but the smtp (send) is stopped by the firewall hmmmmmm.
Will post here if I find out anything of use.

Collapse -
Incoming/Outgoing mail server for router
by redmons / May 1, 2005 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: You are not alone?

Hi

First of all please let me assure that I am no expert!! But I have recently had a similar problem with a Netgear 8134 modem/router and Virgin.net broadband.

Instead of putting in something like mail.virgin.net for POP and SMTP open a MSDOS dialog box from Start-Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt and type after the prompt

ping virgin.net

or ping wannado.net

or whatever your ISP/Pop box 'Supplier' is. Note that you might have to do this twice if they are different. Make a note of the number that comes back (in the first sentance) and type this into the relevent box for your incoming or outgoing mail server.

It basically is the direct address as I think the modem/router is working like a server.... or something like that

HOpe this helps!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.