General discussion

How to configure One ADSL, Two AP..

I want to build a network of 30 PC, Mixed OS's i.e. Windows XP's (SP2) and Win 9x, ME, 2k.

Currently I use 1 ADSL Modem, 1 WAP and a couple of Switches (all WiFi capable Laptop using Wifi, and the rest using RJ45 ethernet cable)

I want to add 1 more AP, for a group of people that need a different configuration.

Question is can it be done?

How to configure it and what special configuration to watch for?

Notes:
Additional things to achieved are;
--Reducing bandwidth lost (when shared by too many people),
--By having two AP on different location, meaning more wider area coverage (1 AP served a group of user in one location, while still able to share files and printers)
--Compatibility between WiFi device can be isolated (i.e. laptop with 11/54mbps, or laptop with multiple setting, such as different channel for home and office)
etc.

Thank You

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to configure One ADSL, Two AP..
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to configure One ADSL, Two AP..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The simple way. One on channel 1, the other on 11.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What?? That is All?? Thanks Bob, I'll try on monday.
- Collapse -
That's all I did. We needed one at each end of the office.

It was 2 floors and we put one at opposite ends and floors. The seperate channels seemed a natural way to get more out of the RF space.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info