Question

How to completely wipe computer clean?

I plan on recycling the computer I currently own and want to wipe everything, how do I do this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to completely wipe computer clean?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to completely wipe computer clean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To wipe the drives. Look at DBAN

Usually DBAN is enough.

- Collapse -
Answer
DBAN here
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: wiping

If the hard disk is not too small (you don't tell) it might make sense to get it out of the PC before you recycle it, put it in an enclosure and use it as an external disk (for a backup for example).

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
RE: Complete Factory Setting - FORMAT
The way to wipe everything. Everything. EVERYTHING! EVERY SINGLE THING!!!!!!
Well, a format can easily enough wipe out everything and reset the computer into factory settings. What I mean by factory settings is the plain, nothing computer with everything on default settings. And I mean it. Default resolution, default setting, default everything. Disk Grin and Disk :E and other disks will also have to be formatted, but NOT FROM THE CD, unless you want to change by having Disk :C and Grin only. It's the use.

Formatting is used for re-installing the PC, such as re-installing Win-7, Win-8, Or Win-XP. It needs a CD. Prepare a back-up if you want certain files to live. Once you click the button, it's all over. The computer is gone! If you want to wipe-out everything but with the same OS you use, just use the CD to delete :C and make new Raw Disk :C and install it with your OS. My OS is Win-XP, and this has occurred when my files are infected. Virus? Win32\Chir\B@mm

Mymom6678 - Junior Answerer - Good luck cleaning! Wink

CNET Forums