TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HOW TO COMPARE HI-DEF T.V.

Even the cheepie sets look great. The way sets are displayed in stores makes it hard to choose, louzy vidio feed, all out of calibration, and shown in a bright display.So If you took all the different displays l.c.d. d.l.p plasma etc and calibrated them perfectly and then compaired them side by side which display would be best?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW TO COMPARE HI-DEF T.V.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW TO COMPARE HI-DEF T.V.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The clear winner is..

In reply to: HOW TO COMPARE HI-DEF T.V.

Plasma

Collapse -
What????

In reply to: The clear winner is..

Plasma? No offense but, are you sure? Plasma sets have great colors and tend to mesmerize but the reality is that once the set loses its luster, image wise, you can't recharge the display and have it looking like new.

I got my vote on LCD or CRT. The reason why is because the technologies have been around the longest and they are not prone to some of the weaknesses of plasma.

Collapse -
Reasons

In reply to: What????

With the possible exception of tube type CRT TVs, Plasma is by far the most reliable technology. If you want anything larger than about 34" screens, CRT TVs are out.

LCD and DLP projection TVs will need the projector bulb replaced every 2-6000 hours, but the bulbs will lose brightness over that time too, so you will lose some "luster" during that time too. The bulbs cost 250-350 dollars so, you soon pay more for bulbs than the set cost. Plasmas are rated at 60,000 hours to half brightness. That takes a long time to lose its "luster" and you can then turn up the brightness. You can't "refresh" a plasma, but you can replace it at the end of its life with the money you saved on bulbs. Remember, your DLP is only refreshed when that bulb is new, it will dim after time just as any light bulb does.

Black levels are much better on Plasma than LCD or DLP. Brightness levels are the same across the screen. Viewing angle is much greater than any RP set and better than a flat panel LCD. You can watch a plasma in the daytime-something that doesn't agree with a RP set. No rainbowing or image bluring on fast moving images.

Plasma may not be perfect, just the best choice we have right now. Unless you need a 60-70" screen,get a plasma. In that size, I would get a CRT RP set if I had the room for it.

Collapse -
Which is why an independent store is better

Stewie,

As you probably found out at the store you bought your TV at, an independent "high-end" audio/video store is the place to compare (and hopefully buy) a TV. There are so many adjustments on a new TV it's almost impossible to see a TV setup correctly at the local volume dealer. Just this morning, I was playing around with my Sony LCD set and it has three picture adjustments: Vivid, Standard and Pro. On top of that, it has three display power modes: Off, Power Saving and Standard. For each mode you can have separate adjustments saved (color, hue, brightness, stretch, etc.). On top of that, you can do individual adjustments for each input and source. It's mind boggling. I'd venture to guess that at any Costco, BB, CC, etc. these adjustments are all whacky. At least at an independent store (if any exist any longer), you can get individual service and more importantly, they will have access to the remote so you can spend some time to "learn" how a TV really looks.

Collapse -
DAN I DID BUY AT AN INDEPENDENT STORE

In reply to: Which is why an independent store is better

My dream store San Jose Sony Honda even if they dont have the equipment they wuill order it for me ,even thou they hate d.l.p.

Collapse -
IT WAS A CRAP SHOT FOR ME

Please I dont want to brag more about my new 72HM195 Toshiba but I belive the main reason I bought this t.v. was the great reviews I got here at cnet, because when I saw it on display it was not looking good but when I installed it properly in my home using both h.d.m.i. inputs and playing with the adjusments The picture is eyepopping. SO THANKS TO ALL CNET MEMBERS FOR THE GREAT HONEST ADVICE THEY GIVE have a nice day stewart

Collapse -
Argghhhh

In reply to: IT WAS A CRAP SHOT FOR ME

Enough about the poopshiba. Everyone and their mother knows you're happy with your tv. enjoy it and quit talking about it. In a few months it'll be obsolete just like the rest of the current models out there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.