Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to Clear Offline Files' Server List?

Hello, I recently switched servers, with the new server having a different name than the old. I deleted all my old offline files and re-synched with the new server, but the old server name keeps reappearing in the Synchronization pane during Offline Files synchronization. How can I delete all references to the old server? Many thanks.

Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Clear Offline Files' Server List?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Clear Offline Files' Server List?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you check that box in Disk Cleanup?

In reply to: How to Clear Offline Files' Server List?

Collapse -
Yes, Bob, I did...

In reply to: (NT) Did you check that box in Disk Cleanup?

...and still that little monitor icon sits in my SysTray. Right click icon>Status under "Computer" there sits the old server. I un-check that box to the left and it's still there. I did a search for the old server name and found a folder C:\Server\"Mapped Drive on Old Server Name" but I'm not sure if this is something Windows created or something I created as a Backup.

BTW OS is XPproSP2, Pentium M 2.0 w/ 1GB RAM

Collapse -
Remove it from Network Places.

In reply to: Yes, Bob, I did...

Collapse -
It's not there...

In reply to: Remove it from Network Places.

...there is no reference to OldServerName in Network Places. I have:

Disabled Offline files
Run search for OldServerName including hidden files
Rebooted

This behavior is especially odd because this is a new XP user account from the old Domain. I did copy/paste my Desktop from the previous user account so maybe the reference arrived through that process. I deleted all offline files AFTER the desktop was copied over. Right now, with Offline Files disabled, the icon is still there.

I right-click the icon>View Files and am presented with a huge list of shortcuts to OldServer files. The folder details are the foldername "Offline Files Folder" and it is a System Folder, that's it. Possibly deleting the shortcuts could help? Always afraid to mess with System stuff unless it's applied in the proper manner.

Tony

Collapse -
About that search.

In reply to: It's not there...

1. We know that Microsoft's search is untrustworthy. What search tool do you use? (I use GYULA's Navigator)

2. Anything in the registry about this old server?

Bob

Collapse -
There were four registry keys...

In reply to: About that search.

...all related to my recent searches
MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603

I'll try your fancy searcher.

Tony

Collapse -
Delete the MRU items.

In reply to: There were four registry keys...

That's an easy one to pick for deletion. MRUs are great target practice.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, that was fun, GYULA's a looza...

In reply to: Delete the MRU items.

...at least as far as finding any references to OldServerName. Nothing. What about deleting all those shortcuts in the Offline Files Folder? They are no good anyway, but I think my problem is deeper.

Tony

Collapse -
Why not delete them?

In reply to: OK, that was fun, GYULA's a looza...

I can't see why we keep'em.

Bob

Collapse -
Away they went, taking the icon with them...

In reply to: Why not delete them?

I just needed someone to blame if I hosed my system deleting files in System folders. Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. Funny when I saw the post I thought for minute if I wrote it. We changed servers, and a new server name. On several of our XP PRO sp2 machines the old offline files still show up and try to sync and I can't get rid of the old server reference in the offline files. If you uncheck the box it does nothing but come back next time. Let me know if you find anything.
Thanks,

Collapse -
Problem Solved

In the registry create a DWORD registry key called
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache\FormatDatabase

Then reboot the PC. It will clear all offline file references, then remove the key.

Everything now works perfect.

Collapse -
Where in the registry

In reply to: Problem Solved

Where in the registry do you post the new line?

Collapse -
The after effects of this registry change?

In reply to: Problem Solved

I was able to fix the same problem on my end with this registry entry mentioned above. However, I'm wondering how it affects our offline files Group Policy. I have selective GPO that applies to laptops in our org. After adding the reg entry, the old server's offline files link was deleted which is great, but now when they log in again, offline files doesn't seem to be working. I've tried a gpupdate /force and several restarts. I checked the registry to confirm if the entry was still there and it's gone. Has anyone had a similar experience.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.