Computer Help forum

General discussion

how to check an e-mail just opened for spyware

by gklein / May 2, 2005 10:34 PM PDT

WinXP; Pent4; 512ram;

I use spybot regularly, but would like to check a specific e-mail right when it comes in (before and/or
after I open it)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to check an e-mail just opened for spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to check an e-mail just opened for spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't use Outlook Express
by Yew / May 2, 2005 10:57 PM PDT

Since IE is the primary conduit for spyware infestation, and Outlook Express uses huge chunks of IE code... It follows pretty naturally that avoiding Outlook Express helps avoid using Internet Explorer, which in turn helps avoid spyware.

If you need a replacement, look into Mozilla Thunderbird (and Firefox for IE).

Collapse -
Try this...
by Willy / May 3, 2005 12:28 AM PDT

Most AV pgms. have a e-mail filter as part of its defense, check to see if yours does this. Also, its been my experience that some e-mail services those that provide thier own email like Yahoo, Excite, JUno, etc. will have a similar defense on thier part but also you add to it by placing emails to it that appear to be spam or junk mail as well as tweaking how that service acts. The trick is, don't open any emails that you don't know of the sender or those repeated from a similar source. Also, since it appears that IE and Outlook are prone to weakness of thier own, maybe another browser is in order.
I use to use a pgm. called: Mail Washer(freeware). It was a great helper. You could further its use but adding and tweaking its defense those you found offensive. You could friends to a known list to get thier emails and others be trashed or at least look at email headers and see what needn't be opened.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
Gene, This Should Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

The link below is for viruses, but similar principles apply for spyware as well:

Opening E-mail: Outlook Express Virus Stuff Instructions

In regards to spyware specifically, most spyware types require you to open an attachment or to visit a website where malware coding installs the spyware ...Generally, if you read the e-mail in "text only" (Outlook Express 6 and Outlook can be configured to do so.), and/or place OE or Outlook in the "Restricted Sites" zone, then you should be fine AS LONG AS you don't open any attachments or click on any links that might be in the message.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grif - yes .thanks. I've been using Spamihilator too
by gklein / May 3, 2005 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Gene, This Should Help
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.