General discussion

How to change the width of the start menu?

How to change the width of the start menu?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to change the width of the start menu?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to change the width of the start menu?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You can try

Start> settings> taskbar and start menu for options.

Rod

- Collapse -
try this

right click any blank spot on your desktop select properties this throws you right into your display properties select the "appearance" tab up top.. now here we will make our adjustmeetns ...i believe it s called "active window border" i dont know for sure. but you now have an idea of where to look .. Good luck

- Collapse -
Start menu width.

Do you mean the menu when you click at 'start' ?
Why do you want to change the width ? How you do it may well depend on your problem. Do you want to increse the width or reduce it ? Why ? Something overlapping ? Not enough space for the columns ? You may have to go to Screen display properties to change screen appearance or font size, or access the Regisry to change some values.

- Collapse -
theres an echo in here

such an appropriate nickname for you Papa LOL

- Collapse -
You can try...

1. Slowly move the mouse cursor into the top edge of the "Taskbar" until it changed to an up-and-down arrow.
2. At that point left-click a mouse and hold it then move up to the position your desired.

Regards,

- Collapse -
Start - > All Programs

I meant when I go into "All Programs", all of my folders have short names yet each "column" they are listed in seems quite large, I want to decrease the width of the columns.

- Collapse -
If that what you want then...

the "screen resolution" as suggested by previous replies is the only solution. New video card and/or new CRT might also required to cope with your requested.

Regards,

- Collapse -
Nope not a res change.

No there is a way to reduce the width of the start menu, it is somewhere in the registry. I know this because 1) Other elements of the UI can be resized and 2) The width of my start menu columns were much narrower, installed a program called Mr Tech Systray and it made the columns alot bigger, did not see the option to change that, uninstalled it but yet my columns are still wide in "All Programs" trying to find the setting to adjust it. I never changed the resolution , it is a windows setting for the UI.

- Collapse -
Changing width of Start Menu

I to am looking for a way to adjust the width of the start menu. I want to make it wider, due to the use of oversized fonts, that cause a trunation of the items displayed. Yes, I know how to change the properties,icon size, etc. I do not want that, I want to know where in the registry the width is defined.

This computer is for my father who is visually impaired, and therefore all fonts, icons, etc are oversized so he can see them. I would not care if the start menu filled the screen when clicked, as long as he could see it, that is the objective here.

Thanks for any help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info