Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to change the icon of a file 'permanently' ?

Hi all,
I am able to change the icon of a file (say, of extension type *.doc or others) and it displays fine in my XP machine. But when I sent this file to others, the file reverts to its old icon in other XP machines.

Is there any way to make the change 'permanent', just for this particular file and not all files with the same extention type ? I would like the file to appear with the modified icon in any XP machines. Possible?

Any help/advice is most appreciated !

Cheers!
CY

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change the icon of a file 'permanently' ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change the icon of a file 'permanently' ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Change that file

In reply to: How to change the icon of a file 'permanently' ?

You won't get anywhere doing it that way. It's like carrying a car door through the desert so you can roll down the window when you get too warm. That said, you need a file converter. When you change the extension, it shows that type of file as an icon but it is NOT a changed file. If you want say, jpg file and you name it bmp, it may change the icon but it is still jpg, not bmp. Windows goes off the last extension for the icon is all. You need something that will actually change that file properties.

Paul

Collapse -
The file's icon of .DOC is a user preference and not...

In reply to: How to change the icon of a file 'permanently' ?

In the file. This is by design and not something you can force on other machines by what's inside the .DOC file.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: The file's icon of .DOC is a user preference and not...

Bob & Paul,

Thanks for the comments.

Interestingly, after I successfully changed the icon of that file (locally) , one of two colleagues (who I sent the file to) managed to see the changed icon but not the other.

Trying out on other machine (transferred using USB drive)'s hard drive shows futile results.

I guess converting it to a exe format would probably be a more viable option.

Anyway, thanks alot !

Regards,
CY

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.