Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to change HTML to readable text in notepad

by putor52 / December 13, 2008 10:20 PM PST

Hello, this is my first post. I really didn't know what I was doing when I copied some of my posts off another forum.
What I did is copied the entire post (about 30 of them) to "My Documents". Then, because "my documents" folder started coming alive and acting weird, I changed them all to notepad.
Well, that was about two years ago, and I know enough now to know I messed up. What I don't know is how bad.
Is there a way to get, in a letter format, just what I had posted? Without all the html....and whatever else kind of computer code is on each file, now? I wanted to copy them to a cd, mostly to not loose them, but I think I really need to get them off my hard drive....before my computer looses it's crazy mind.

susan...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change HTML to readable text in notepad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change HTML to readable text in notepad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: html to notepad
by Kees Bakker / December 13, 2008 10:36 PM PST

An html-file in fact is a simple text file, that you can read with Notepad. Just open it using File>Open, and you'll see the html-code.

If you open exactly the same file with a browser (also using File>Open) you see what you usually see, and that is what the browser makes of it to show it on the screen.
But most webpages nowadays heavily use on 'stylesheets' to format the contents of the page. And without those stylesheets Internet Explorer generally makes a mess of it.

So, for the future, the best ways to save a webpage are:
- In IE, File>Save as, and use mht-format (web-archive, one file)
- Try http://www.download.com/Free-HTML-to-PDF-Converter/3000-2070_4-10758906.html to convert it to pdf (never done so, but the description looks good, and it's free).

It's difficult to tell you what's best to do now, because you don't tell what exactly you did when you "changed them to notepad". And if I don't know what you did, it's impossible to say how best to undo it.

Kees

Collapse -
reformatting html
by putor52 / December 13, 2008 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Re: html to notepad

Goodmorning Kees, I'm not really sure what I did either....it was a long time ago. Whenever I would post something online, I'd use notepad to type it and then copy and paste. I think I did the exact opposite, as it was all I knew, and thought it was what I was supposed to do.
Sorry, I'm not very good at this.
Let me go think about it and see if I can recall. I'll get back with some better explanation...I hope.
What I'm trying to accomplish is just to be able to read some things I posted regarding a very missed companion of 17 years.
Thank you for trying to help me, though

Collapse -
Re: reformatting html
by Kees Bakker / December 13, 2008 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: reformatting html

Can you make a post with the full contents (or a representative part of it, anyway) of one of those files? That is, after you changed the text to something neutral and impersonal, of course. But I would like to see what it is.

Or mail such a file to me (as an attachment). Of course, I'll treat it confidentially and delete it after use. I'll post my email-address in the next link and delete that in an hour or so, after I receive your mail.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: reformatting
by Kees Bakker / December 13, 2008 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: reformatting html

Thank you for your message showing the start of the contents of those files. That was:

Here is the very begining, but the whole thing is way too big and it seems to me like it didn't used to be that big. Anyways, there's alot I don't know about how all this works. I basically only use my computer for selling on ebay. I hardly even use email, or anything else for that matter. Just research surfing...

Subject: Cat Forum - Cat Forums, Cat Health, Cat Behavior, Cat Food View topic - A Prayer of Tribute for Bugs
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 01:47:38 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="text/html";
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0000_01C80171.8CF1D3D0"
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C80171.8CF1D3D0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This isn't html, but it looks like a formatted print of an email. Strange to see that Internet Explorer saves anything in this format, but the first line is very clear about it.
Anyway, it contains nothing that even resembles part of your own text, that must be further below.

I'm afraid that all you can do is find your own text and copy/paste that to another document. But even that might be impossible.

I really need the whole file to say more.

Kees

Collapse -
104kb's
by putor52 / December 13, 2008 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Re: reformatting

Kees, the smallest one of those files is 104kb. Can I post the whole thing? I can't even tell where my origional words are. Did something happen that i am unaware of...is that even possible? Because I used to be able to see what I'd written. I use HTML to sell on ebay, so I somewhat can read and understand it.
It's computers, I don't understand...
Thanks, again

Collapse -
All you can do with that 104kb file:
by Kees Bakker / December 13, 2008 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: 104kb's

mail it as an attachement to me (I'll repeat my email-address below) OR put it somewhere on internet and post a link. The first would be easier for 99% of our members.

Kees

Collapse -
sent file
by putor52 / December 14, 2008 12:06 AM PST

well, I'm prepared for the worst....if I can do anything about it, I still have the memories...

Collapse -
found text
by putor52 / December 14, 2008 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: sent file

Ok, I did find the text. What is the best way to go about retreiving it so that I can put on a disk?

Collapse -
Indeed.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: found text

The text was there. Search for postbody in Notepad. Then copy/paste what's below that to anywhere else (like Wordpad or MS Word or Works or even Notepad).

But you might like to try what I did and described below. Much nicer to look at.

Kees

Collapse -
It's perfect!
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: sent file

Not a mess at all!

You sent me a file called _ Learn what those lab results mean.txt
I went to Windows Explorer (My Computer would do also) renamed it to _ Learn what those lab results mean.eml
That is, I changed .txt in .eml

Then I doubleclicked the file and had a perfect reproduction of the webpage in a mail in Outlook Express. This was the first part (I transferred it with copy/paste to this post):

"I decided to get copies of Bugs's lab results for a couple of diferent reasons. One, to help me understand what is going on with him so that I can monitor his health and, if nescessary, provided proper supplements. And, the other I hate to even say, but I want to see what the vet gets to see. So, if nescassary, be a pet patients' pushy parent and make Dr Vet discuss options and outcomes.
I like my vet, but the more I read, hear and through my own personal exsperience, I know how crucial it is to be well informed in order to established a position of posture. My kitty relies on me first to give him what he needs. The vet must understand I won't tolerate anything less than he being my partener. Therefore, the well being and the importance of good health, for Bugs, will always be first in mind.
Of course, he could choose not to take bugs as his patient...and that's ok too.
If there have ever been words that had a profound effect on me, these were them: Minimal standard care required"

You might find it difficult to do rename like I did, change the 'extension' .txt in .eml. Do it like this:
1. First go into Start>Control Panel>Folder options
2. Choose the second tab (View)
3. Uncheck the option to "Hide extensions for known filetypes".
When you go into My Computer now, you'll see that filename displayed including the last part (.txt). Now right click on it and change .txt in .eml. That's all and it's basic use of Windows that anybody should be able to do.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
wow
by putor52 / December 14, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: It's perfect!

Wow, thanks sooooo much! I'd better get to work...if I want to be done before dusk, lol

You know I'm really glad i came here for help. Let me just take a moment to say...you are one heck of a special kind of person. To take time just to help people like me...the ones that if they are going to own a computer...should learn how to use one. Thanks for being so helpful, you'll never really know what it meant...

susan...

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome. Glad I could help.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: wow
Collapse -
1 mor ?
by putor52 / December 14, 2008 12:46 AM PST

Will my yahoo work/ Or do I have to use outlook?

Collapse -
Re: yahoo or outlook.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: 1 mor ?

Yahoo won't work, but you won't have to use anything yourself

If you doubleclick a .eml file, it is opened by Outlook Express. You've got nothing to do for that and it won't interfere with anything else (unless, of course, you configured it to receive mail). It's just a way to look at the original post that was mailed to you.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?