Resolved Question

how to change background on photos

Apr 19, 2011 11:54PM PDT

I will be taking photos of flowers at a flower show. These will be mostly close ups of winning specimens and arrangements for inclusion in a 'book of evidence' for submission to the Federated Garden Clubs of NYS.
As these items are displayed among a lot of other material, the backgrounds tend to get so busy that they take away from the subject.
I often see pictures of flowers with an entirely black (or other color) background, which sets off the blossoms to their very best advantage.
I have AdobePhotoshop Elements 9 installed, but find no guidance in the 'classroom in a book'.
Hope someone can tell me how to do this.

Discussion is locked

ksteil has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: how to change background on photos
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how to change background on photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Background
Apr 20, 2011 8:06AM PDT
- Collapse -
background
Apr 20, 2011 10:51AM PDT
Shocked Oh, no!I was mistaken, I have PH Elements 8 and it doesn't seem to have a Magic Extractor?
Here you have taken the time to help, and I posted the wrong information. I feel awful!
Is there a way to do this in PHE 8?
- Collapse -
Background again
Apr 20, 2011 11:03AM PDT

Sorry about the mix up.
I followed the link and then clicked on PH Elements 8 help and the same information comes up for the version I have. So - I have printed out the instructions and will start working on a sample photo.
I am not familiar with the right terminology and the search definitions I had entered didn't give me the information I needed.
Thank you so much for your interest and the right link.
Karin Happy

- Collapse -
PSE tutorials
Apr 30, 2011 5:59AM PDT

Karin, there are numerous tutorials on Adobe.com. Get familiar with the site and browse around. Use the Search blocks to enter what you are interested in such as Photoshop Elements 8. If you don't have a User Manual you can get one there.

Copy this long url and paste it in your browser .. it may just be what you are looking for:

http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=Photoshop+Elements+8.&q=Photoshop+Elements+8.&l=photoshopelements_product_adobelr&x=0&y=0&area=0&lr=en_US&hl=en_US

Also lots of PSE 8 books and when you can upgrade tp PSE 9 .. it is an improvement.

Best of good wishes for lots of fun ..

Ed

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: Graphics forum: how to change background on photos
Jun 12, 2011 6:55PM PDT

In photoshop, there are several ways to do this but to be more convenient on the output, I would suggest to use the pen tool or the magic wand tool.

- Collapse -
Jun 13, 2011 12:38AM PDT

I only now read this reply and noticed it already showed a (1) thumb down.
Since I did not place it there, I was curious who did and why, so I clicked on it
hoping to find an explanation, but instead it changed the (1) to a (2).

- Collapse -
Answer
Extrude BG with paths
Oct 13, 2011 10:54PM PDT

I do this with Photoshop and Pen tool. I make a paths, click button "Selection paths" and extrude a background. Make paths around a objects, extrude a background and fill this with your favourite color. This is the easiest and best way for me Happy Are Photoshop Elements 9 have a pen tool with paths? I never using a Elements Sad

mali oglasi

- Collapse -
change background on images
Oct 14, 2011 12:17AM PDT

Hello, All

- Collapse -
Answer
Jan 3, 2012 7:47PM PST

There are usually several different ways to make things happen in Photoshop. The method I prefer requires a reasonably good graphic tablet (Wacom is best brand). Instead of just deleting the background, I prefer to isolate, copy and then paste the actual image itself as a distinct layer. You can use the lasso tool to roughly select around your chosen object... then use the Quick Mask Mode (icon is at the bottom of the tool column on the left)... this should make one half of your total picture red. Then use your paint brush to paint the red right up to the edges of your chosen object. (Tip: pressing D or X will change your brush into either a red paint adder or a red deleter) When you have completed painting the red right around the edges of the image you want to select, click on the Quick Mask Mode again and you will see the 'moving ants' line around your object. If the line has selected the background, click Select>Inverse. Then copy and paste and your object will now be in a new layer all by itself, minus the background... which will have become transparent. Once you have that, you can choose any background image you desire and import that layer. You can move the layer this way and that, you can rotate it, make it smaller or larger... whatever! When you have positioned your imported layer of the desired object to your satisfaction, you can flatten the image and VOILA!

CNET Forums

Forum Info