How To forum

Question

How to burn music onto RW CD's from a Dell D830

I have a Dell D830 (2007) laptop running Windows 7.

I've not managed to burn music onto a blank RW CD and then play the CD in my car CD player.

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible, or may be both the hardware/software is too old.

It gives you the option to 'burn CD's' etc. However, when I try to play the CD in my 2014 Toyota Prius CD player, it tells me there's nothing recorded etc.

My intention is to download the music and make a compilation CD or 2.

Look forward to any guidance etc.

Regards

CJL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to burn music onto RW CD's from a Dell D830
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to burn music onto RW CD's from a Dell D830
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Outdated

In reply to: How to burn music onto RW CD's from a Dell D830

use one of these instead. Who wants to keep track of all those CD's, when you can put hundreds of mp3 files on these, set broadcast to open FM frequency, and tune radio to that.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
AHA! I know a little about this.

CDRW is harder for CD players to read. You need to try one more time to create an AudioCD but put it on CD-R.

Some players which I own one in my 2000 Honda only play CD-R that are on good silverish media (will not play my BLACK CD-R's) recorded at 2x.

There's a lot on the web about this issue so I'll sum it up with 2 points.
1. Use silverish CD-Rs.
2. Record at 2X when making your AudioCD.

Big nod to CDBURNERXP from ninite.com. Tutorials about making the AudioCD is at https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Audio/compileaudio

REPEAT. CDRW is often unplayable in many CD players. Use CDR.

Post was last edited on November 29, 2017 1:13 PM PST

Collapse -
Burning music onto CD's

In reply to: AHA! I know a little about this.

Many thanks for your helpful response.

I look forward to exploring this route.

Regards

CJL

Collapse -
I wonder if you are trying to burn music to a CDRW by

In reply to: Burning music onto CD's

dragging the MP3 music files directly onto the CD.

If that is the case, then that is the problem. A CD with music on it needs to be burned as an AudioCD, already mentioned by Bob, and another easy way to do that would be to use the Windows version of iTunes.

P

Collapse -
great idea

In reply to: I wonder if you are trying to burn music to a CDRW by

He probably had UDF all over that CD, LOL.

Collapse -
Universal Disk Format, doubtful.

In reply to: great idea

Not sure you were attempting to help or hinder?

As you can see I've solved the matter and successfully using the CD-RW option.

In order to assist others, who may have given up, or are still struggling with burning their own CDs. Bob Proffitt has kindly offered to post this @ a more relevant Forum etc.

Ta matey.

Collapse -
No need to get snippy.

In reply to: Universal Disk Format, doubtful.

Prior to the James Denison post, I see no mention of you having "solved the matter", so why go off at him?

The MP3 directly onto a CD/CDR/W has been a source of trouble since the early days and has not improved.
The suggestion that it may have been the cause of your problem, is a valid one.

P

Post was last edited on January 2, 2018 4:41 PM PST

Collapse -
Whether to bother responding or not?

In reply to: No need to get snippy.

Let's get one thing straight, I use Forums purely to request constructive assistance and/or to contribute only. And not to join the growing band of cynics and time wasters whom seem to revel at the slightest opportunity to put someone down, criticise for the sake of it and generally prove totally unhelpful.

When I read, what one could describe as a throw away comment, seemingly laced with an element of sarcasm/cynicism, I refer to LOL. I'm not impressed, particularly when I solved my own challenge with reliable help from YouTube etc.

And finally, as I will not enter into any further commentary on this matter, the solution I used is simple, logical and wholly reliable.
CD-RW allows me to use a CD many times, if necessary, I can add/subtract tracks etc. Yes, it's a brilliant solution.

Hopefully the genuine users out there will benefit from my input.

Regards

CJL

Collapse -
I forgot a thing.

In reply to: Whether to bother responding or not?

But don't engage in sniping at replies. Period.

But I forgot to add this following link because CDRW is a known problem with many players. The fix is to go back to CDR and in some players, even that won't do.

Here's the link I forgot to add above.

From http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-23
"If you're trying to use CD-RW media, your odds of success are worse than with CD-R. CD-RW discs simply won't play on most CD players."

I have run into folk that are upset at this answer. They really want CDRW to play, but not all car AudioCD players will oblige.

Post was last edited on January 3, 2018 11:50 AM PST

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: I forgot a thing.

Ok understood etc.

Collapse -
Answer
Success c/o YouTube 'Burn a CD for your car'

FYI: to all those who have perhaps attempted, considered attempting to 'Burn a CD' primarily to enjoy c/o the CD Player in their vehicle etc.

I can categorically confirm the YouTube entry, namely "Burn a Music CD for your car..." works! Easy to understand, simple process, and in my case worked perfectly using CD-RW (which also allowed me to Erase, should I wish and restart etc). I mention the latter as the site only displays CD-R throughout the process, but CD-RW also works.

I used a laptop running Windows 7 (yeah I know, bit dated but hey it works well).

I do purchase CD's but, like many, I want to 'Burn a compilation' of favourite tracks. Less CD changing and longer enjoyment experience etc.

Happy Groovin'

CJL

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.