HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

How to burn both a DVD file and data storage to a DVD

by tyler_1000 / October 14, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

I just received a DVD that I could put in a DVD player and my computer and it would come up as a regular DVD, but then I could open up the DVD on my desktop like it was a folder and it had a sub folder that had actual mpeg file that I could drag onto my computer and play. So the DVD had both VTS and Mpeg files. I have Encore, along with the adobe suite. I can't figure out how to do this and it would be a great feature as we run a lot of promo videos that doing this would make it much easier to give to other groups and be easy for them to use it however they want

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to burn both a DVD file and data storage to a DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to burn both a DVD file and data storage to a DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How? With Video DVD creation software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 6:26 AM PDT

There are more than a dozen titles to list and each uses a slightly different system to add a file.

As presented you may not get a great answer other than go do it.
Bob

Collapse -
With Encore
by tyler_1000 / October 14, 2013 2:04 PM PDT

AS stated above I am working with the Adobe Creative Cloud, so if I should be using something other than Encore I am officially out of my element (Pun intended)

Collapse -
I don't have Encore
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: With Encore

So I don't have the elements to figure it out. However there are other dvd creation software that allows you to add files.

If you take a completed DVD back to .ISO format then with a generic ISO editor you can add a folder and files. Here's a search on that.

https://www.google.com/#q=add+files+to+iso+image

I'm skipped what an .ISO is for brevity.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Why not burn 2 DVD's.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 6:27 AM PDT

1. A DVD to play in a standard DVD-player?
2. A data-DVD with a file they can play in VLC or Windows Media Player?

Which of the 2 do you need help with?
What format has the video at the moment?

Kees

Collapse -
Both?
by tyler_1000 / October 14, 2013 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Why not burn 2 DVD's.

I can do both individually, my problem is that when I do one, I end up closing the DVD, so I can't add anything. i.e. I can't start with putting on a regular file, then tell Encore to burn a DVD onto it because it wont read as the correct media. Or in reverse, if I burn the DVD it is closed and I can't add files.

Collapse -
Re: both
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Both?

I wrote "2 DVD's". That shouldn't give any problem for anybody, if you provide instructions about when to use what DVD.

Kees

Collapse -
You don't want to do that either
by Jimmy Greystone / October 14, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Both?

You don't want to do that either. The adding files later is called multi-session and if you look around you'll find multiple examples of people who burned one set of files, then went back and burned a second set of files only to find that the first set of files is now inaccessible without special software like isobuster. Even worse are packet-writing, or CD/DVD as a floppy, type software. Those absolutely require special software to be installed on every single computer you plan to be able to read the disc with and if you ever come across a really old computer, sometimes the drives will refuse to read the disc period.

Seriously, any time you're trying to burn more than straight data or straight audio/video in a single shot (my oversight on that part earlier) you're increasing the odds of something going wrong. One type of data, burned in a single session, is the only method that offers any reasonable level of reliability. If you picture the reliability level like a line graph, any time you deviate from the above method, it's a very steep drop off in terms of reliability. In more poetic terms, you stand on the precipice of a cliff face. Is it any wonder that USB flash drives have taken off like they have? All the benefits of floppy disks, few of the drawbacks, plus better performance and greater capacity than even DVDs.

Collapse -
Answer
I wouldn't bother
by Jimmy Greystone / October 14, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

I wouldn't bother. This sort of thing was never perfected, so it might work in one DVD player but then choke on the next one. Really, any time you stray from either straight data or straight audio (for CDs) or video, you significantly increase the odds that you'll end up with a disc more useful as a coaster or frisbee.

Collapse -
Bitter Sweet
by tyler_1000 / October 14, 2013 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't bother

This whole process seems to be more work than it's worth, and knowing I can throw a lot at this and only end up with coasters doesn't exactly sound like fun. But it would be a useful resource if it was reliable.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Bitter Sweet

I have used DVD FLICK for years which gave an option of keeping the source files. The ISO method system works fine too.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.