PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How to build a dual processor system

by revpsychology / January 5, 2005 2:54 AM PST

I would like to build a dual processor computer but I don't know what motherboards can support this and what processors work best. I like to multi task and my computer now is just SLOW when i'm doing anything that's processor intensive such as encoding a DVD.

I read about multi-core processors and if they work the same as dual processor then I suppose I could use that.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to build a dual processor system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to build a dual processor system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 3:03 AM PST

You are looking at Opterons and Xeons. The P4 is not a dual CPU design.

HOWEVER, the HT version of the P4 does show dual CPUs in Windows NT, 2000, XP and Linux. And does pretty darn good in transcoding sessions at a good price compared to dual CPU Opteron/Xeon based computers.

Today, I'd get a 3+GHz P4 with 800MHz FSB, later this year a dual core Athlon 64.

Bob

Collapse -
Are those the only 2?
by revpsychology / January 5, 2005 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Today....

The opteron and xeon are pretty expensive. Are there no cheaper processors that can be dual?

Collapse -
In the SMP CPU families we also have...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Are those the only 2?

For Intel, the i486DX, Most of the Pentiums, P2, P3. The P4 is NOT a dual CPU design. Then we have the Xeon and Itaniums.

For Sun, then have some units from 1 to a few hundred SPARC CPUs.

The old MIPS CPU was multiple CPU capable, but stickly listed for mention... Then we have the Alpha, but not in wide distribution.

In the APPLE camp, they have some dual PowerPC or PowerSpec or such.

I hope this gives you the lay of the land today.

The HT tends to be you lowest cost almost full dual core unit today.

Bob

Collapse -
What about motherboards?
by revpsychology / January 5, 2005 4:34 AM PST

What motherboards are good but cost effective? I would like to build a decent dual processor system below $1500 is at all possible.

Also I thought AMD had some processors that could be used as dual processors if the motherboard supported it? Will the multi core be faster than dual processor systems nowdays even though they sound the same?

I'm really not all that dumb when it comes to putting a computer together I just am not good at putting this processor with that motherboard. If I can just get those 2 picked out I think I can take it from there.

I would have bought a system but I can't find many places online that sell dual processor desktops.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Dual Athlons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 4:51 AM PST

Those were not "friendly" to builders. Most builders tried to shortchange the power supply or the case cooling. If this is your first PC build you will not be happy.

Not many places sell dual CPU boards. It's a premium product.

Bob

Collapse -
Motherboards
by revpsychology / January 5, 2005 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Dual Athlons.

How can I tell which motherboards are dual processor capable? For example at pricewatch.com

Collapse -
by carl4286 / January 5, 2005 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboards

It should be fairly obvious. It will be outrageously expensive, and the dual processor sockets are pretty distinct.

Collapse -
here's a good board
by carl4286 / January 5, 2005 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboards
Collapse -
here's a good board
by jcrobso / January 6, 2005 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: here's a good board

You never said what you are using now? Anyway I built a dual processor PIII Tualitin 1.2ghz with 1gb ram 2 years ago, very fast for the time. It would render a 20min vedio segment in about 12~14min. Complete a SETI unit in 5~6 hours. Got everything off Ebay ended up spending about $700. An AMD2700xp will outrun it, An AMD 64 3000 will eat it alvie, do a SETI unit in 2.7 hours. Remember when your encoding a DVD or any video app. there is no multi-tasking no matter how fast your processor is since those programs TAKE ALL OF THE CPU(s) CYCLES, they just getit done faster. Add up the cost of one expensive but superfast PC, or 2 fast PCs
but reasonible cost. I have 4 pcs on a KVM switch and just switch to a different pc when one is rendering video. Your choice, John
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?