Computer Help forum

Question

How to browse on open wifi anonymously?

by jimithing40 / March 24, 2013 11:21 PM PDT

I live where I work and I use my work's open wifi and I wanted to know if there is any way to use the wifi without my boss being able to see my web history and ISP? I know a proxy site can change the ISP but wouldn't my boss be able to see that I visited the proxy page to begin with? Is there any software or solution to this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to browse on open wifi anonymously?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to browse on open wifi anonymously?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: wifi
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 11:32 PM PDT

Then it seems you need a 3G or a 4G connection in stead of using your bosses stuff.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / March 25, 2013 12:24 AM PDT

Nope. Your boss, via the IT department, could pull up the access records for every single site you visit based off the MAC address of your NIC. If you went to a proxy page, they would then only be able to tell you went to a proxy site, but that too would possibly arouse suspicion. Basically, if you think about it, if you go to some website, that website's server has to know how to get the data to you. So what you want is sort of like sending a letter to Steve in New York City. No last name, no address, just "Steve". There's probably hundreds of Steve's in NYC, so the odds of the letter getting to the Steve you intended it for is unlikely.

My advice would be first to look at any employee handbook you may have, make sure to read the policies on personal web browsing. Some companies aren't going to worry about it so long as you aren't doing anything illegal or streaming 1080p movies from your Netflix account and soaking up all the bandwidth for everyone else and you're getting your work done that they pay you for. Other companies are extremely up tight about this sort of thing, and are always on the lookout for people using the Internet for non-work things. If you have any doubts about which your company is after reading the handbook, talk to your boss and/or someone in HR about it. Finally, if you have any doubts even after that, the safest option would probably be to just wait until your lunch break or you're off work when you can go to a nearby Starbucks or use your personal Internet connection at home.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?