Question

How to Bring down the FTP site

Hello to all,

I want to bring down my FTP site and when anybody login to FTP then he should be shown an message saying that " FTP work is currently in progress " so how should i do this ?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to Bring down the FTP site
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to Bring down the FTP site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: FTP

I would just stop the server program and be happy with the clients getting the error message they get in stead of a custom error message like you prefer.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Alternatively
- Collapse -
I wonder if the ftp-protocol ...

uses the same 404-page as the html-protocol. In fact, I doubt if it uses pages at all.

Kees

- Collapse -
May be so

but would there still be some type of landing page? A modified version of that could be used as a 404 page.

Mark

- Collapse -
FTP doesn't work like that

FTP doesn't work like that. Don't let the abstraction done by browser makers fool you into thinking it's ANYTHING like HTTP and loading web pages. They're two completely different protocols.

Generally speaking, without knowing which FTP program we're talking about though, it's impossible to give an answer, and by and large this isn't part of the FTP RFC, so anything beyond the RFC will likely limit the number of clients it works with.

Depending on how people login to this FTP server, you might be able to do something like Mark suggested. Assuming people come in via a web page link, you can just remove the link and say that the server is down for maintenance, then put the link back when done. If people are using an actual FTP client, then there's really nothing you can do. If the server is down, it's not going to accept incoming requests. When websites put up a "down for maintenance" page, they do so by loading it onto a secondary webserver. There's basically only an on and offline mode for servers, and if they're offline, they're not accepting any incoming connections, even to deliver some kind of "Down for maintenance" message.

CNET Forums