Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to boot Xp in My HDD using another motherboard?

Hello

My home computer has no internet access, so virus problem.

I want to connect my harddrive(Home) to my office computer with internet access (With another motherboard) so that I can update the antivirus and re connect in home.

But XP won,t boot with another motherboard I think. Any solution?

Roy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to boot Xp in My HDD using another motherboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to boot Xp in My HDD using another motherboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: booting with another MB

In reply to: How to boot Xp in My HDD using another motherboard?

Not really. My only suggestion: take your home computer with you to your work (or friend, relation or family) and connect there.

Where do you think your unspecified virus comes from if you don't have internet access?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for reply

In reply to: Re: booting with another MB

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

My home system gets infected from my USB drives which I used to collect data from many computers in my office.Many office systems are not clean.

I have tried many portable antivirus like clamwin but arer not effective for me.

Any way understood that my idea is not technically feasible.

Thanks

Roy

Collapse -
Microsoft and others write how.

Collapse -
XP on different MBs

In reply to: Microsoft and others write how.

Thanks a lot for the reply and links. But these are permanent motherboard changes and seems not applicable for me. Still let me see what can I do with this information.
Thanks again
Roy

Collapse -
Permanent... Yes.

In reply to: XP on different MBs

Here's the deal. Microsoft did not design this OS to be moved about. You should tell what the needs and goals are and then someone might offer a possible solution to the problem.

-> It can't be that you need XP to run on any motherboard you toss it on but rather you want to boot XP to get to files or something else. Correct me about this.

In closing, those LiveCD Linux CDs do move about with ease and handle this PLUS allow internet, network, file access and more.

Bob

Collapse -
My purpose

In reply to: Permanent... Yes.

Hello
Thanks for the message.

My purpose is to update the Norton anti virus in my home system. No Net connection in Home. So like to bring my home HDD to office ,connect it into my Office PC, start XP , and update. then take back HDD to home. Iwas doing this while both systems were having same 845GVSR motherboard. But now office system updated with a new board. So cant do the old trick.

Or is there any effective (?) antivirus which I can download the virus defentiions as a seperate download and take home and update? I tried portable tools like clamwin but is not effective as my nortan.

Sugessions please! Hope I cam clear now?

Roy

Collapse -
Just noting.

In reply to: My purpose

Collapse -
Thanks a lot

In reply to: Just noting.

Hello

I am downloading that package .I think it is an exe which simply needs to be run on my home system.Let me see.

btw my version is symantech antivirus full 10.0.1... something. Corporate edition is ,I am not sure.(I took a screenshot of the about window, but cannot paste a image on this post !!)

Thanks a lot for the info.

Will update on the results.
While updating directly online it updates the scan engin also. let me see it does the same in this update also. Size of the file seems to be ok.
With thanks a regards

Roy

Collapse -
You gotta love "Corporate edition"

In reply to: Thanks a lot

Free support. Why are you here? What happened to your free support?

Collapse -
Thanks again

In reply to: You gotta love "Corporate edition"

Hello
I was thinking XP on different board was the only solution!That is why I looked for a XP forum.

Roy

Collapse -
her what to do

if u have the setup disk use it to update the windows and it will work in the other motherboard then update it back on your pc because you can't boot up directly from other motherboard and thank you

Collapse -
Use the Norton Intelligent Updater

Hello Microcode,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

I can assist you with the correct way to update your Norton product.The easiest way to accomplish the task of updating the definition files on the computer that does not have internet access is to download the Norton Intelligent Updater and either burn it to a CD or put it on an external drive. This is a self-executable file that you can then launch on the system and it will update the definitions for you.

Norton Intelligent Updater

As far as being infected by your USB drive upon insertion, if you have Norton AntiVirus 2008 there is a setting that you can enable that will scan any external USB drive upon insertion for infections.

Thanks,
Mike

Collapse -
All ok Thanks

In reply to: Use the Norton Intelligent Updater

Hello

Thanks for the info. I have tried it and is working ok now. Thank you very much. Only regret is the hours wasted looking for a solution to boot XP from other MB.

Now it is very much convenient.

Roy

Collapse -
Thanks for the update

In reply to: All ok Thanks

Hi Roy,

I'm happy to hear that you were able to update Norton and are back up and running.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.