Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to block Silverlight?

by tcantrelln / January 20, 2010 9:54 PM PST

I'd like to find a way to block Silverlight completely at the source- sort of like using the hosts file to block web pages. Not OS specific, just some completely viscious way so I never-ever see that pop-up, pop-over, pop-under again. I can go to Firefox or Chrome, but still, sometimes I've got to use IE8 and I dislike Silverlight in the strongest terms. TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to block Silverlight?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to block Silverlight?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It was optional
by Steven Haninger / January 20, 2010 10:31 PM PST

You or someone installed it. Did you check Add/Remove programs in the control panel? Just uninstall it and it should be gone.

Collapse -
Re: How to block Silverlight?
by Tufenuf / January 20, 2010 11:16 PM PST
Collapse -
I have the same problem but everytime I uninstall it,
by dougogd / July 15, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

it reinstalles itself. I am almost to the point of filing a lawsuite against microsoft for force installing it. That is what happened. I blocked and hid all updates concerning silverlight they unhid them I rehid them they unhid them. I hid them they installed them.

Collapse -
I do NOT have it-
by tcantrelln / January 21, 2010 3:08 AM PST

And I do not wish to-ever-! I would like to find some way of killing off the 'Offer' during every Windows update session (Like the IE 7 blocker in times past) and to block the popup on web pages that insist that I must have it to view something. If I want to see whatever it is-I'll open Firefox anyway. If I could determine the address of the popups (Http whatever) I could block them in my hosts file, but I'm sure that MS has some randomizer at work for them.

Collapse -
You're stuck
by Jimmy Greystone / January 21, 2010 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: I do NOT have it-

You're stuck at that point. You can tell Windows Update to ignore that particular update, but you're never going to stop the offers on websites using IE short of turning off ActiveX controls and scripting. With Firefox NoScript is pretty effective at stopping those, but I'm aware of absolutely no NoScript equivalent for IE.

Collapse -
by tcantrelln / January 21, 2010 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: You're stuck

I'm just glad I hardly use IE anymore, anyway.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?