Resolved Question

How to block inappropriate pop-ups connected to link text?

I am a Win 7 user, browsing with Firefox. Lately I have found that when I mouse over any hyperlink in web text, I get a pop-up that is unrelated to the link and if I click on it it takes me to the unrelated link. I have scanned for adware and virus infection, but nothing changes. I use Norton Internet security.

Discussion is locked
eMpulignano has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: How to block inappropriate pop-ups connected to link text?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to block inappropriate pop-ups connected to link text?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Some additional information?

Maureen..

It would help a great deal if we had some details about those pop-ups. And also about the 'unrelated link' once clinked on. Are the pop-ups always the same? What do they say? Are they ads?

Do you know what contextual advertising is? Could it be contextual advertising you're referring to?

Under certain circumstances, I might suggest installing the Adblock Plus add-on. Under other circumstances, I might suggest NoScript. Without knowing more about the pop-ups, the above would only be considered "a stab in the dark". It's why details are important.

In the meantime, I would suggest scanning with the below, if you haven't done so already.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. (Temporarily disable NIS prior to running the scan)

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Hitman Pro - It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat. Note: There are separate downloads for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/

"It's all in the details" Happy
Carol

- Collapse -
Thank you, Carol

Yes, it appears to be Contextual Ads. I installed Malwarebytes and ran the full scan. It discovered two Trojan BHOs that I removed, but they were obviously not the culprit. The extremely annoying pop-ups are still there.Will Adblock Plus curb this?

- Collapse -
Try Adblock Plus

Free and pretty easy to remove later.

- Collapse -
Adblock Plus..

Definitely give Adbock Plus a try. Note the video mentioned on the page.

Their "Documentation" should answer any further questions you might have.

A Hosts file such as MVPS Hosts file or HpHosts will also block many of the unwanted ads. Keep in mind, if you go with a third party Hosts file it has to be kept up-to-date.

I mentioned NoScript in my first post. It's main focus is security, but as a side effect it does block many ads. I have both installed. If you're interested, read its Features and FAQ.

By the way. I would keep Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed and scan with it periodically. It may pick up something NIS fails to.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
Thank you again

Thanks again, Carol. I purchased a subscription to Malwarebytes and will continue to use it.

CNET Forums