Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to backup system

Hi,

I was thinking of getting Norton Ghost to use as a way to back up my system. I really just need a way of saving my data and my system settings so that if the computer gets corrupted somehow there is an easy way to get it back to its original setting.

This could be the result of a hard drive dying or a virus.

Is Norton Ghost the only way of backing up everything or is there another way to do this?

THanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to backup system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to backup system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System backup

In reply to: How to backup system

creating an image of your drive is a good way to go.
Don't rely on an external USB drive alone to store your image, burn a copy to dvd for safe keeping, 3 copies even better.
I havn't used Ghost for years so I can't comment on it's use.
I like Acronis True Image Home, it can make automated sheduled image backups.
In the event of drive failure or upgrade it can restore the backup to a new drive of equal or larger size (even smaller if the data will fit).
It can also do file, folder and settings backups.

Collapse -
Are you saying

In reply to: System backup

that if the hard drives dies, can you install the image on a totally different system? (if the hard drive is at least as large). Could I transfer an image of my laptop to my desktop?

Collapse -
imho, acronis is a better choice

Collapse -
Right

In reply to: imho, acronis is a better choice

that is what I read in the posts on Amazon, that the Ghost is very pushy and takes most of the power away from the user, I hate that.

Collapse -
imho, acronis is a better choice

In reply to: imho, acronis is a better choice

I agree I have been using true image for years and has saved me many hours of recovery time it backs up your whole system and can restore it in a very short time

Collapse -
Try this

It's not an system image but it does back up your files to an external hard drive (i.e. USB).

CNET Forum Link

Check post 5 of 12. Onwards is more explanation to the person asking for help.

Collapse -
You seem to have missed his desire ...

In reply to: Try this

"...saving my data and my system settings so that if the computer gets corrupted somehow there is an easy way to get it back to its original setting."

XCOPY is fine for files but will not handle system settings nor application customizations etc. while an image will.
Collapse -
^_^

In reply to: You seem to have missed his desire ...

Just giving suggestions. He could always do both.

Collapse -
Back-Up

What about using Norton Save & Restore?
That's a bit easier program then using Norton Ghost

Collapse -
If you backup corrupt data using image software

you end up with a corrupt backups. Corruption is not always an event, it often happens gradually over time.

The real question is where does this corruption come from and how can it be stopped?

Always run anti virus software from reputable companies.

Collapse -
Backup complete your hard drive

In reply to: If you backup corrupt data using image software

I use Norton ghost14 and ghost 2003, I find they both work perfectly. I keep a copy of all ghost images on another hard drive interal or external. These have been a God send when I needed to replace or have had a major hard drive failure. Ghost 14 does everything for you. I have used others, but Norton for this job, is best.

Collapse -
What about online storage

In reply to: Backup complete your hard drive

I just thought of this, does anyone use an online vendor that can store your data over the internet. This seems like a safe reliable solution>

Collapse -
Opinion

In reply to: What about online storage

Online storage is useful but maybe it's just me but I wouldn't trust the people who are keeping track of the storage.

I'm paranoid that way but when I do something my favorite is just to back it up locally and shutdown the external hard drive.

Collapse -
Dropbox

In reply to: What about online storage

I use dropbox as my on-line backup for my home computer. It's free for 2 GB so i use it only for my important files and some of my old valued photos. For a reasonable fee you can get up to 50 GB worth.

What I like about dropbox - and the other on-line services - is that it operates in the background PLUS it is offsite. If someone breaks into my house and steals all of my tech stuff, including my external harddrive, then I'm covered. Same goes if i suffer from a fire, tornado, hurricane, etc.

Dropbox and other services also offer convenient ways to set up folders to share documents to collaborate with others securely, save yourself from having to email 20 MB files, all while syncing your documents regularly. Definitely worth a try.

Collapse -
Do you have any

In reply to: Dropbox

Idea how fast the upload/download speed is?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!