Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to backup my system

by maggiem2 / March 14, 2008 3:26 PM PDT

I have read alot about backup in the forums but I didn't see any instructions how to do it. I have no idea how to make a back up for my computer system.
Exactly what do I backup and what do I back it up to? How do I do it?

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP2
AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to backup my system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to backup my system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Backup
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2008 3:45 PM PDT

What to backup is easy -anything of value to you! Do you have important files, documents, pictures??? Best bet is to save them by copying to removable media such as CD-R ,DVD-R, or flash drive. Then store them away in a safe place. Be aware though that even removable media has a shelf life.

Collapse -
Agree with Darton. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 14, 2008 8:17 PM PDT

I just save my pictures, documents, stuff I can't replace in case of a crash. I have an external 460 Gig hard drive and make my first copy there. Then, once a month or so I burn it all to DVD. This way I have two copies and can make changes on the external drive, then burn the best.

There is third party backup software all over the net. Some free, some not. But I've always been skeptical. I've seen too many posts here about that software and problems.

All my IBM machines (4) have built in IBM backup software, and I tried it once. It took forever to back up my drive. Too much trouble.

Collapse -
backup
by maggiem2 / March 14, 2008 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Darton. . .

Thank you for that info Darton but I still need instructions how to backup. I just don't know how to do it.

Sad

Collapse -
Have you ever
by Jimmy Greystone / March 14, 2008 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: backup

Have you ever burned a CD or copied files onto some kind of USB flash/thumb drive? It's really as simple as that. Don't worry about trying to back up all your programs and the operating system, just focus on the files you absolutely cannot replace otherwise, like photos and other documents.

Collapse -
backup
by maggiem2 / March 15, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you ever

Thank you for the input. I went out and bought a USB Flash, Ummm thingy. I have some CD here called Memorex CD-R ( recordable 52X700 60 min. I am going to try the discs first. Crossing my fingers ( my toes and my eyes)

Collapse -
Just try Ghost.
by panther_stalking / March 15, 2008 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: backup

You can try using Ghost 8.3 to backup your system and burn the .gho file(which is the file that has backed-up your system) onto a CD-R/RW

Collapse -
re: how to backup
by JakeDr / March 19, 2008 10:49 PM PDT

It is recommended to use special backup software for backing up your files. You can find the information you want on wikipedia or on the different sites of backup software. They usually have pages "how to backup" and so on.. I use Handy Backup - http://www.handybackup.net , it's quite easy.

Collapse -
backuo files
by maggiem2 / March 20, 2008 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: re: how to backup

Thank you JakeDr
So I to backup I also nee aprogram to do it and it will be saved to this USB memory stick I purchased???? Now I am more confused.

Collapse -
re: backup files
by JakeDr / March 20, 2008 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: backuo files

You have many ways: backup to CD/DVD, USB, HD DVD and so on. For a start you can download any backup program trial(free) version (for instance HB trial) and try to backing up. It has user friendly interface and very understandable help.
P.S. My first "backing up" time wasn't so difficult because of using help Happy
P.P.S. Wish you successful attempt :))

Collapse -
Additionally Note: Compare the Size of....
by tobeach / March 20, 2008 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: backuo files

what you're looking to back-up (total) to the space on media you're wanting to use. A USB flash drive is good but note how many KB or GB's are available for storage v/s size of back up. CD's are generally good for about 750 megabytes. DVD's about 4.5 Gigabytes. Flash thumbs from 256Kb up to 8 Gb's & lots of in-between sizes. Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
backup files
by maggiem2 / March 21, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I got my files onto two CDs.

I appreciated everyone's suggestions

TY TY TY

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?