Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

How to backup entire "hard disk" with OS on a bootable disk?

by ambrish56 / June 24, 2012 9:37 PM PDT

Hello,

I've done a fresh install of Windows XP SP-3 followed by installation of device drivers, antivirus and updated my OS to current status.

My 160GB hard disk is 98% empty after all this, that is the space used is less than 4GB. It has no partitions.

I'll be grateful to learn, if I can store this "image" of the hard disk to a bootable DVD and restore the image to its current status without going through the entire fresh re-installation of the OS, Device drivers, antivirus and updating. (The whole process is exhausting - to say the least).

If one has such an disk image on a bootable DVD, the entire system will be restored with minimum fuss and least effort.

Afterall, the empty space of disk is occupied by few Hexadecimal FFs and can be stored in image as one number and multiple thereof to be re-written.

The imaging software, I have come across need an identical disk.

Please let me know how to go about it.
Thanks.

Note - I have tried to explain my problem to the best of my ability. Please ignore errors of language.

ambrish56 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to backup entire "hard disk" with OS on a bootable disk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to backup entire "hard disk" with OS on a bootable disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ambrish56

Collapse -
Acronis is not free!
by ambrish56 / August 1, 2012 1:55 PM PDT

Yes, Acronis can boot and restore HD from the image it created. But, it is not free.

Thanks for replying.

Collapse -
You have not until now ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 1, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Acronis is not free!

indicated that your bootable image MUST BE FREE.

Acronis is EXCELLENT for what you want and you can find specials on it where you can get it for $25.00

If it MUST be free try Macrium Reflect:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Collapse -
I apologise for
by ambrish56 / August 4, 2012 6:50 AM PDT

having not indicated that I am looking for Free software.

As suggested I'm going for the Macrium Reflect and will post my feedback ASAP.

Thanks for pointing out the blunder in my text.

Collapse -
But it does what you ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2012 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Acronis is not free!

There are other solutions that almost meet your "spec". Isn't Acronis worth it if it does the job?

Collapse -
Answer
Slipstreaming?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 9:52 PM PDT

Look up in Google or your favored search engine, Slipstream XP.

For example http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd . The article is dated 2008, but the principle and method is the same.

Note though, that they talk about CD and not DVD. I am not sure many older XP systems were able to boot from DVD drives.

Other than that you can do what others here do. Use something like Acronis True Image to create an image file of this fresh install and store that onto some external hard drive, then create a bootable Acronis CD to use to restore the image to a hard drive if needed.

That's what I use for my Windows 7 and I found it very easy. I was fortunate though in that my hard drive maker, Seagate, offers a free download of a licensed version of Acronis True Image which works very well for me.

If you are interested in a command line utility, look up Clonezilla.

Mark

Collapse -
Slipstreamed XP Takes a 45 Minutes
by ambrish56 / July 7, 2012 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Slipstreaming?

Thank you MarkLax and R. Proffitt for the suggestion.

I understand that slipstreamed XP takes 45 minutes to set up the system hard disk.

Some years ago, I saw one PC Engineer booted with XP Installation CD and ran a software from pendrive to restore system from the DVD. His process took less than 20 minutes.

I wish I could use free utilities like "Partition Manager" or "ToDo Backup" from EaseUS to do the same job.

If no other option works, I'll go for slipstream XP.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to first answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 3:12 AM PDT

"Acronis True Image to create an image file of this fresh install and store that onto some external hard drive, then create a bootable Acronis CD to use to restore the image to a hard drive if needed."

That's it!

Collapse -
Answer
Another option.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 3:37 AM PDT

xxclone from http://www.xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

I use their xxcopy product, and it's excellent. Moreover, with the personal version being free, all you can lose is some time, no money.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Will Read More on XXCLONE
by ambrish56 / July 7, 2012 9:58 PM PDT

Thank you, Kees_B.

I will read on XXCLONE to know if it can create a system restore bootable DVD as I have in mind.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Answer
Another opetion

If you want to backup the entire Windows XP "hard disk" with OS on a USB drive, I know some software may help. I'm using Hopedot VOS to backup all my personal PC stuffs, including applications, data and the whole OS. It's actually a virtual OS similar to Windows OS. But it can be installed on a USB drive. And you can access to your personal PC environment on any computers after the USB is plugged in. Hope my answer help.

Collapse -
Not Just Backup
by ambrish56 / August 1, 2012 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Another opetion

Thanks for your reply.

Backing up is not what I am looking for. The back up I am seeking must boot and restore the OS as it was originally. It means I'll have the OS as if I installed from a scratch.

Collapse -
Answer
I use Acronis

I can create images on the media of my choice. Your 4 GB will reside on one blank DVD. Acronis can do that but your used disk space will grow with time but Acronis can span disks. Figure roughly 50% compression with Acronis and some other imaging software. It's not a bad idea to keep a first image but I'd also make additional images as I acquire new software, updates, etc. An extra internal HD and and external as an additional backup source is a good idea. With about 50 gb on my main system (OS and software...not much stored data) Acronis will image the drive in under 10 minutes and restore it in even less time.

Collapse -
Answer
This is Non-commercial Computer
by ambrish56 / August 4, 2012 6:54 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is a home computer used for simple entertainment tasks and web surfing. If I had any commercial use, I'd certainly go for paid software as recommended by CNET users.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?