Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how to back up

I have windows XP How do I backup or download my pictures and music onto dvd or cd disc!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to back up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to back up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First question. . .

In reply to: how to back up

Are either of these optical drives burners? If so do you have burning software? We'll go from there.

Collapse -
Re: how to backup.

In reply to: how to back up

That depends on
(a) what burning program you have
(b) if you want to use dvd or cd

To burn to dvd you NEED to use a burning program. To burn to cd you MAY use a burning program, but Windows XP has a built-in way to burn to CD also. Of course, details of how to burn data to a disc are different between different burning programs.

Your turn to provide details.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: how to backup.

Huh! I guess I'm a newer computer newbie than I thought! I know how to take the music thats on my computer and burn it to a cd. What I want to know is how to take all of the music a put it on one cd or dvd what ever it needs so if and when my computer dies I will have all the stuff already on discs and wont have to worry about my computer tech guy saving everything for me. This includes music all my pics and any other files or stuff on my computer that ends up getting lost or erased.
someone told me backup my stuff onto disc but I don't know how to!
I have in the past when my computer crashed the tech did a data recovery files I think I have two files or I don't what they call them but I can go into mycomputer icon and in there i have i think two that say data recovery and then one that says data recovery with a date. tech has done this process for me four or so times I think just the last three he was able to save. what I want is to get those and all my current stuff onto to discs before this happens again
I have windows xp, windows media player, roxio, kodak easy share
if this helps you to help me. sorry I'm not knowledgeable

Collapse -
We Still Need...

In reply to: reply

...the burning program you have installed on your computer. You gave us lots of words but little information to our questions. In order to burn a DATA disc, which is the saving of files to a disc, you need to have disc burning software such as Nero, or Roxio, etc.

Create a DATA disc using that software. If you don't have such software, something such as the free CDBurnerXP PRO:

http://filehippo.com/download_cdburnerxp/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry!

In reply to: We Still Need...

I thought I did state that I have windows media player, and roxio media creator 7

Collapse -
cdburnerxp

In reply to: sorry!

is the burner I find the best for backups of all data I want to save.
It will burn to cd or dvd disks and you can set it for multi session so you can keep adding to it until the disks are full.
Just use the link given to you in reply by Grif.

Collapse -
If You Already Have Roxio...

In reply to: sorry!

...sorry I missed that, then you can make a data disc with the Roxio program.. Read their tutorial and go from there.

If you've saved everything to the 'My Documents' folder, then simply save those files in the data project.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: If You Already Have Roxio...

Thanks to both of you!

I will try what you suggested I don't know if the are all saved to my documents but I now know to do that then burn them.
I have new questions! but I understand I need to start new thread!

so again thank you so much!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.