Phones forum

General discussion

How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?

Many carriers claim to have calling plans to give you unlimited night and weekend minutes. But if you make a call or receive a call from certain geographical locations, your phone might route your calls through another carriers' network. And you get charged long distance and roaming.

How to avoid those long distance and roaming charges? Do some phones automatically route your calls throught another network, without you allowing it to? Is there a way to know, that your call will be routed through another carrier, before you dial the call?

Is there any way to know you have used up your free minutes?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?

In reply to: How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?

The calling plans and contracts are so long and difficult to understand, you have to be an accountant or lawyer to understnd them.

Collapse -

I used to work for a wireless telecomm. company. There are many carriers with national plans. With any of them, you may end up roaming on a different carrier's network. With Verizon, there probably is the best national---U.S.---coverage. However, everything depends on your usage patterns. What's the coverage in YOUR CITY? Where do YOU travel to? It's a very localized choice. There are calling plans that make you immune to roaming charges, but you may have to pay more each month to hedge that position. Only go with those plans if you're getting killed---month after month---with outrageously high roaming charges. So yes, you can be roaming and not even know it. Sometimes you will know if you're roaming, but most times you will not. There may be a way to set your phone to only pick up the signal of your wireless provider's network---by manually setting your phone to their network only. But then, you may get more dropped calls.

Collapse -

Some cell phone companies claim that they don't charge roaming and long distance, even on their basic plans. Is it true?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re:How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?

I'm not sure about AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cingular that market the No Roaming and Long Distance Charges on the nationwide plan. I have Verizon Wireless and I'm on nationwide, but my nationwide is only good if I'm on their netowrk and on other carrier's networks where Verizon Wireless and other Wireless carriers (Alltel, US Cellular, and maybe Sprint, but don't know about that one) have agreements to allow roamong on their networks atno charge. I have to look at my roaming indicator carefully if it flashes or is solid. If it flashes, then I'm on a network in a region that Verizon Wireless has agreements with to roam on the other network at no charge. I have yet to travel in an area where my roaming indicator is solid. While using your phone, keep an eye on the roaming indicator. That'll determine whether you'll be charged for roaming or not.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re:How to avoid long distance and roaming charges?

u go to ur options n ur phone and u set if u want ur phone to switch auto or stay on ur network that way i never go roaming unless i need to make a emergency call. btw i have sprintpcs if i have to use roaming n my coverage area i dont get charge phone and of course free long distance. not free international

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.