Cameras forum

General discussion

How to adjust sharpness on a Canon A620?

by billyvonne / September 6, 2006 5:15 PM PDT

I just bought this 4 days ago upgraded from my 3.2 Sony Cybershot. But the Canon's pics are very soft and not as sharp as the Sony's. They almost seem blurry. I know it's not from the camera shaking and I've been playing with the settings but can't figure it out.

Could it be the lens? Even in Auto mode I'm very disappointed on the image sharpness, I have to delete most of them because they are too soft. The only time I get a decent picture is when I use the MF mode but then the rest of the image is blurry.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to adjust sharpness on a Canon A620?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to adjust sharpness on a Canon A620?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not so easy
by jimbob666 / September 6, 2006 8:39 PM PDT

Strange, the shots out of my 620 are usually VERY crisp and sharp. Maybe you got a bad camera?

Anyways, as far as i know you can't do it in camera. I just looked through all the menus to verify and couldn't find a way, which would be consistent with all/most of the Powershot series that i've ever owned (A80, A510, A520, A620).

I would recommend using something like Photoshop or Elements or GIMP (Free!) for serious jobs, and for quick jobs using free tools try something like Picasa.

Collapse -
Similar problem with Canon SD450
by dennis_schilling / September 6, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

I seem to be experiencing the same type of sharpness problem with my new Canon Powershot SD450. At first, I thought that I wasn't steadying my hand well enough because nearly half of the pictures were turning out "soft" or blurry. But over the last several weeks, I've noticed that I've had to delete just as many pictures when I'm using a tripod or when my wife is using the camera.
I am very interested to find out if my camera may actually be defective, or if there's a "trick" to taking sharp pictures with the Canon Powershot SD450.

Collapse -
Perhaps an ISO problem
by jmelgar / September 7, 2006 4:35 AM PDT

I bougth my Canon A620 three weeks ago. I'm pleased with the image sharpness and the great detail. Probably, you are using ISO 50 (default setting). If you try ISO 100, probably you'll have better results.

Collapse -
thanks for all the help! worked it out a little
by billyvonne / September 8, 2006 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Perhaps an ISO problem

Thank you all for your help! I played around with the ISO settings and set the camera down to steady the shaking. I have yet to try a tripod and hopefully that will render better results.

I bought the camera for a clearance of $150.00 as a display. Could it also be that the lens is defective causing some of the blurriness? Some of the pictures come out looking wonderfully crisp but it takes a lot of effort and a steady hand.

And as far as the ISO I'm still not quite understanding how it all works. Is it better to use a 400 with low light and a 50 with a lot of light? How about adjusting ISo for moving objects like an active toddler or pet?

And one more thing can I use a 150x 2GB SD card with this?

Collapse -
Information
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 9, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

Since that camera was a display model, check the lens carefully under good light. It is very likely that you have some fingerprints on the lens. Use a soft cotton cloth and your breath to clean the lens.
A fingerprint causes ugly photos.

The best ISO setting for any condition is ISO-50.

The camera will use higher ISO settings when it must have more light to keep from using low shutter speeds.

Very few cameras under $700 do well being hand held in low light. In low light.......use flash or a tripod.

I don't know about the 2Gig memory card.
Check with Canon before buying that card.
Camera makers seldom specify what cards will work with their cameras.

Collapse -
Canon A620
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

If these shots are taken in low light situations (without flash), the problem is probably camera movement.

If it is low light......you are shooting at slow shutter speeds.

Place the camera on a tripod or sit it on a solid surface and take some trial shots. Make sure the camera does not move. You should get sharp photos, even in low light.

If the blurring is occurring outdoors during daylight hours, try this:

Instead of using the LCD to frame the subject, use the optical viewfinder and make sure the camera is pressed against you head.

You head is steadier that two outstretched arms.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?