Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to add ' move to ' to right click menu

by PuzzledGorilla / November 8, 2004 1:18 PM PST

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a "move to" function to right click? I know that it's possible to add and remove things from sendto in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\sendto but moving is betta. If anyone could help, that would be kew.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to add ' move to ' to right click menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to add ' move to ' to right click menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to add ' move to ' to right click menu
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 6:55 PM PST

You probably know the standard way is to right click and click "Cut", then open up in Windows Explorer to the destination folder, and in the right hand pane right click and "Paste".

But there are ways to change the right click "Context menu". If you do a Google search for Windows XP Context Menu you will find some sites, eg

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=32134&subsectionid=607

discusses modifying the registry to do exactly as you are asking.

I hope this helps

Mark

Collapse -
move to
by PuzzledGorilla / November 9, 2004 3:09 PM PST

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and it worked but it's not exactly what I wanted. But I'm not sure if there's a way to do what I want. I want a 'send to' command that deletes the old file (ie moves the file). This article does that, but you can't set shortcuts for it like you can with 'send to', it just opens a dialogue box and you have to manually select your destination every time.

Collapse -
Re: move to
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: move to

Glad it helped a bit.

I'm not altogether sure what you mean.

You want a Send to option on the context menu, but which sends the highlighted file to a new location instead of sending just a shortcut, (ie, leaving nothing behind in the old location).

But isn't that what Move to does? You would still need the "move file" dialogue window to open, otherwise Windows would not know where to move the file to.

I have re-read the PC Answers article in the link I gave, and interestingly there is a way to add your own locations to the Sent to context menu.

If you look under the C/Documents and Settings/%Username$/Send to folder, (it may be a hidden folder), you can find the list of locations where you can send files to for your account. (There's also a global folder at C/Windows/System32/config/systemprofile).

I've tested this. In the right hand pane of Windows Explorer for my own Send to folder I right clicked, and selected New, then Shortcut, and the Create Shortcut wizard appeared where I could browse which folder I wanted to create a shortcut to.

Unfortunately, although this works and my new folder appeared in the context menu, when I tested it on a temporary file on my desktop, it just created a copy into the new location, and left the original on the desktop.

So that isn't really what you want I believe.

I'm not sure there is any way to do what you want, but perhaps other people may have a solution.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
by PuzzledGorilla / November 10, 2004 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Re: move to

I want moveto to act like sendto basically.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 10, 2004 2:12 PM PST

If your intention is to move(transfer) a file to another location (leaving nothing behind),why not use 'cut' (or Ctro+X) and then Paste (Ctrl+V) ? Why fuss over 'Move to' or 'Send to' ? I suspect these two functions are for other purposes or for other "contexes".

Collapse -
I want, I wish, I would like, I ?
by Cetin Denislam / November 10, 2004 10:26 PM PST

Open Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks and Tips" page.

In particular, see item #44 registry tweak: "Add Copy To / Move To (right click)". It does more than you want, doesn't it ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: I want, I wish, I would like, I ?
by PuzzledGorilla / November 11, 2004 12:38 PM PST

Thanks for trying but, no, it doesn't.

Collapse -
Use it ? Your choice ?
by Cetin Denislam / November 11, 2004 7:26 PM PST

>> Does anyone know if it is possible to add a "move to" function to right click? <<

The provided solutions added this option.

>>I want a 'send to' command that deletes the old file (ie moves the file)<<

The provided solutions move or copy the files / folder to an absolutely flexible destination.

>>you can't set shortcuts for it like you can with 'send to'. I want moveto to act like sendto basically.<<

I can tell you that in this respect, the provided solutions are better. You can create in the procedure new folders, that in sendto takes more additional steps.

Finally, the provided procedures are alternatives. Use / Like them ? Your choice.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Use it ? Your choice ?
by PuzzledGorilla / November 12, 2004 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Use it ? Your choice ?

Way to break it down dog.

Collapse -
by CFMolt / November 11, 2004 9:36 PM PST

Scope out an alternative to Windows Explorer called PowerDesk (you can get a non full function version here at CNET I think...I bought the thing). It does what you want and then some....I never use W.E. anymore. Great utility!!!

Collapse -
by PuzzledGorilla / November 12, 2004 7:36 AM PST

That sounds pretty cool. Does it take a lot of system resources? And do you still have to run explorer for windows to operate?

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / November 12, 2004 8:56 AM PST

Yes you still have to run Explorer--that is the GUI interface unless you want to change it to PROGMAN.

You do not have to USE Windows Explorer for browsing and Powerdesk even gives you an option to "replace" Windows Explorer for opening "My Computer" and folders.

You can locate the free version here as well as a link to the commercial version:
http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html

This page compares the commercial version of Power
Desk Pro 6 to the free PowerDesk Express 5:
http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Compare2.html

Collapse -
HERE IS A LINK WITH THE SOLUTION:
by taco_fan / November 12, 2004 4:53 PM PST

here is a link with bunches of interesting tweaks. number 45 is the copy to and move to registry edit. i used it and it works fine. i think you right click the file and choose merge (into registry)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
DOWN to #45
alan

Collapse -
by kzin--2008 / December 6, 2004 7:33 AM PST

What I did was:
Create a .bat file (kzinmove.bat) and put it in the windows directory...
It says...
@echo off
move %1 %2

For my particular issue, I only want it associated with my mp3 files, so I went to tools, folder options, file types. I edited the mp3 entry to include a new option "Send to My Music". This says: c:\windows\kzinmove.bat "%1" "D:\My Music"

Idont know how to make it work for all file types on the right click, I know what you mean man looking for a "Move To" as well.
Owell, this works for my purposes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.