HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Resolved Question

How test whether charging power is making it to battery

by TerryMcCann / November 13, 2012 9:42 AM PST

I would appreciate the help of anyone who knows how I can test whether charging power is making it to the battery of a Dell Inspiron 1501.

My son's laptop threw craps after about two years of service at college. He brought it home and explained that it would not run nor charge the battery when the adapter was plugged in. I tried an adapter that I knew was working and we saw the same problem. I talked to a repair shop and the guy there said it sounded like a problem with the power jack on the mobo and quoted me a price of about $400 to fix it. I thanked him for his time and we bought a replacement netbook.

Now about 2 years later I've gotten ambitious and decided to disassemble the laptop to see how difficult it would be to replace the jack. Some research on the net indicated I would probably see bad solder joints but the soldering looked fine. However, there was a small piece of what looks like a twist tie wire that was adhered to one of the legs of the jack and a mounting screw hole in the mobo. I'm pretty sure this is not a good thing. A very light tug caused the wire to pull away from both end points.

I put everything together and plugged the adapter in and I'm able to boot to the BIOS Setup. I can't attempt to start Windows since we repurposed the 2.5 inch disk as an external USB drive.

So it looks like the power problem may be solved but the battery is not charging. I know from searching the various CNET forums that the problem is either the battery or the charging circuit. I don't want to buy a new battery if the problem is with the charging circuit so I'm looking for a way to measure the current from the pins in the battery compartment.

Thanks,
Terry

TerryMcCann has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How test whether charging power is making it to battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How test whether charging power is making it to battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TerryMcCann

Collapse -
Keep in mind a 4 year battery is not a good thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 9:59 AM PST

I would never chance blowing a customer's laptop with such an old battery. If you want to, search dell or ask dell for a service document to see what this broken wire does.
Bob

Collapse -
Just trying to do a step by step diagnosis
by TerryMcCann / November 13, 2012 11:55 AM PST

Bob,

I agree about the wisdom of replacing the battery but I prefer to know whether a new battery will charge if I drop it into this laptop. I assume that there must be a way to determine whether current is flowing through the 9 pins in the battery bay but I want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I start messing around with a multi meter.

Regarding the wire, I'd bet dollars to donuts that is not designed to be inside the case at all. As I said, it gives every appearance of being a piece of a twist tie that somehow found its way into the laptop.

Terry

Collapse -
How I do that test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 2:19 PM PST

I get one from our closet and slip it in. That's it. Not high tech but does the test. Dell may have a service manual but I leave that question for folk that own the laptop. They know the exact model they have and can use google such as

DELL Inspiron 210xv Service Manual.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.