TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How should i get INTERNET with DirectTV???

by boilerfan1509 / February 10, 2008 5:41 AM PST

I have been doing some research and I am convinced that I want to get DirectTV for my soon to be new HDTV, but I dont know how to get internet.

I have looked on DirectTVs website and it will cost me about $60 - $70 /month for their internet service, but its speed seems slow compared to a cable internet service.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/discover/broadbandBundle.jsp

On Time Warners website I could get the same speed internet as DirectTV (~$70 more per month) for $40/month with Time Warner. Or for ~$60/month I could get alot faster.
https://ecare.timewarnerla.com/allnone/index.cfm?

Is is smart for me to have "cable" internet with a satalite TV service??

What do you recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How should i get INTERNET with DirectTV???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How should i get INTERNET with DirectTV???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I gotta be one of a couple million who wish there were an
by NM_Bill / February 10, 2008 7:13 AM PST

easy answer. For me, cable brings nice internet speed. Local land line telephone loves to sell packages of combined services. But pretty slow internet once you're used to what you have, for not much price difference. I would dump the cable company in a heart beat if I could figure a better way to go.

Collapse -
Continuing with my ignorance
by boilerfan1509 / February 10, 2008 7:23 AM PST

I am not sure i understand what you are saying. I just moved to LA and I dont have any service (internet or TV). I am looking at getting DirectTV for my TV service. Should I sign up with TIME Warner for Internet???? or (get ready for my ignorance)are there strictly internet providers that could get me a better deal than Time Warner??? (if so, who)??? Or should i just get it packaged with Direct TV??

Collapse -
There are several possibilities. My options apparently are
by NM_Bill / February 10, 2008 7:31 AM PST

not identical to yours. It seems all my neighbors & friends have a total helter-skelter as to what combinations of services they are subscribed to.

Here's to your soon wading your way through which combination is for you.

Collapse -
For the home;
by ahtoi / February 11, 2008 1:45 AM PST

Check for Verizon DSL first. If it's available in that area..it's alot cheaper ($20).

Collapse -
DSL is also fairly slow compared to readily available
by NM_Bill / February 11, 2008 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: For the home;

alternatives.

Collapse -
my bropther switched from cable to DSL... and back!
by Dabonka1 / February 11, 2008 2:27 AM PST

My brother Adam... For a long time he had iO {Cablevision} triple play... Internet/Phone/Cable paying $99/mo for all 3. When the 1 year promotional period was up... the inro prices went up almost 40%. He kept the cable but gave up the phone/Internet. Signed up with Verizon for standard phone and DSL {$15/mo Internet!}. Everything was great but after little use the Internet Speeds was terrible. He ended up going back to cable for all 3. LOL It may make sense for you to have DirTV for your TV needs and cable co for phone/internet needs... consider that phone/internet both come in thu same singular modem connection.

Collapse -
I would use cable for...
by stuntman_mike / February 11, 2008 4:42 AM PST

TV and internet. But if you are already set on Direct TV for your TV, then I would definitely get Time Warner or Verizon FiOS, not DSL, for your internet.

Time Warner offers an internet service with up to 20mb speeds. Verizon FiOS offers the same. Verizon's DSL is 3mb though. It is a huge difference if you download a lot or play online games like I do.

You can always just have cables internet service with Drect TV, but they charge you more if you are not a cable TV customer, so you have to factor that into your decision.

Collapse -
DO NOT GET DIRECT TV!!!!
by cbiz312 / March 23, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

I hope you haven't done this yet, because DIRECT TV is evil!! We have had (and are still having) an awful experience. We have cable and were looking to save some money, so when we saw a promotion in July 2008 that looked great for Direct TV, we decided to give it a try. I should have figured it out when I called to sign up, because the promotion was indeed too good to be true. In order to get anything other than the most basic, basic subscription, you had to add on all kinds of costs. In the end, it ended up only being $10 less a month than cable, which certainly adds up over time, but isn't that much better.

We signed up for the service, and it was awful. The channels were fuzzy, there was a delay between the picture and the sound, and the analog channels were unwatchable. We canceled our subscription and that's when the real trouble began. We were charged for the RENTAL (not purchase) of a receiver box for $109 that we had in our possession for less than 48 hours and had to return. We fought and fought and fought with them to get this money back. We called too many times to count and spoke with any manager we could get on the phone. The managers were rude and disrespectful and didn't have any authority, but would not allow us to speak with anyone higher up. Finally, we disputed the charge through our credit card company and got a refund. This process took, and I'm not kidding you here, seven months. Then today, 10 months later, we received a bill for the $109. Unbelievable.

Direct TV is evil. Their service is horrible. Do not waste your money, your sanity, and your time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.