Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how safe is paypal?

im going on ebay for the first time and am worried about how safe paypal actually is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how safe is paypal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how safe is paypal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Secure.

In reply to: how safe is paypal?

Been a member of PayPal for several years.You must register,have a Credit Card,as a backup,if your checking account doesn't have enough funds,OR,just use the Credit Card for the payment to be taken from.Very easy.You see the "Secure" lock symbol,as well.Plus,they have $10,000 worth of protection,if you were to be messed over.I pay for a LOT of stuff with it.Comes right out of my checking account.Highly recommend.!!

Hope This Helps.!!

Collapse -
I became a member of PalPal

When it started. I have purchased more than 300 items on Ebay with PalPal and wouldn't have it any otherway.

Collapse -
(NT) Paypal is not really safe

In reply to: I became a member of PalPal

Collapse -
(NT) Paypal is not safe

In reply to: Paypal is not really safe

Collapse -
(NT) unicorn108

Collapse -
(NT) Not safe. They refsue to give me ack my money

Collapse -
I've usedit myself a few times.

It is an established resource and that gives it credibility, but what I like about it is it gives a buffer between you and the person you are paying money to.

What I mean is, you are not giving payment details directly to someone you don't know. If anything in the transaction fails, you haven't placed your finances in jeopardy.

Also, in cases of dispute, you can approach PayPal and they will genuinely attempt to resolve the matter for you.

If you are a seller, then using PayPal to control your transactions is helpful because the buyer must have funds in their PayPal account to cover the transaction, and if they do not, you are notified immediately.

Mark

Collapse -
Very Safe..Very Reputable

I've used pay pal for many years and always had excellent service..no scams...no problems...It is very safe, if a problem with merchandise or you dont recieve merchandise, you will be refunded. I trust it fully and I am suspicious about thing but Pay Pal gets 5 stars !!!!

Collapse -
Used it for many years with no problems.

In reply to: Very Safe..Very Reputable

I trust PayPal than having to give someone my credit card number. From where you purchase, the seller never knows your credit card information. Only PayPal does and the transactions go directly from PayPal to your bank or vice-versa. That is the way to go.

Mel

Collapse -
Really

Then why is it being sued by state attorney general's from 29 states.

Collapse -
See my response

In reply to: Really

Collapse -
Being sued means nothings.

In reply to: Really

but loosing a law suit means plenty.

Collapse -
Really?

Then why are they being sued by the Attorney generals from 29 states.
Your money is deposited into a PayPal account, which PayPal Controls, rather than your own bank account. If PayPal even wonders for a second about the validity of a transaction, they can Freeze Your PayPal Account Immediately and suck all your money out. They can even pull your money directly out of your personal bank account, many times without even a phone call or e-mail. If you think PayPal treated you unfairly and want to dispute their decision, You Will Be At Their Mercy as PayPal plays the role of the Investigator, Judge, Jury and Executioner in all issues regarding your account. (You agreed to all of this, when you signed up.) If you feel you must use them because it may be the only way to purchse something, then be sure not to give PayPal your bank info, only your credit card number.

Collapse -
Ebay and Paypal

are great !!
BUT - you have to have sense ! A. preshop. know what it will cost
at the local store. B. check online at retail/wholesale prices.
C. check on watching more than a single item. this will give you a sense of what others are willing to pay for it.
if it sits to the end at the start price - go for it LOL.
D. READ THE DESCRIPTION. find out if it works and what u get with it. E. when bidding - always consider the shipping to figure your
max amount to spend.
Paypal is also used more and more by online retailers. one more way
to do a safe purch and your card data is in one less place to get picked up.
I wouldnt do it any other way. (I have a 500+ feedback rateing)
good luck.

Collapse -
to put it another way

In reply to: Ebay and Paypal

How save do you feel when you purchase online and have to
give out your credit card number with the back code and all
your personal info to a company you may know little about??
if they take paypal - one less place your info gets spred to.

Collapse -
As safe as it could be made...

Follow the other advice and make sure your password is strong and for extra protection, you can get an electronic "token" which generates a pseudo-random six digit code that must be entered to gain access to your account (similar to what some banks use.) It used to be free, but might be a minimal charge, now.

As with any transaction, check out the seller before buying!
See what his/her "credit score" is and how long they have been a member. Read their feedback, as well.

FiOS-Dave

Collapse -
How Safe is Paypal

Hi! I have used paypal for over 200 transactions in a three year period on ebay and I have never had a problem.
I won't give out my credit card info. to companies on the net.I feel much safer using paypal instead of handing out info to who knows who answering the phone or checking on line orders.

Collapse -
Negative feedback

Unlike the many who have had very good experiences with PayPal, I am here to let you know that I have been one of those who has had a bad experience. I have one very special credit card that I got and used for PayPal exclusively. After around six months of weekly usage, I was hit with a three hundred dollar charge that originated in Florida and had no connection to PayPal but was used to rent a car and pay a two day hotel bill. I only used the card for PayPal so the number had to have come from their resources. Be aware and check your statements weekly, online. I would suggest that you get an American Express card with the gaurantee of security for online purchases only.

Collapse -
Yes, but...

Yes, payPal is safe, but be sure when using it that you go to PayPal from ebay or a reputable site.

If you get an email with a link to PayPal, well, maybe it's not a link to PayPal. It could be a link to a page that -looks- like the PayPal site but just collects your password.

Collapse -
consider

In reply to: Yes, but...

that its like your bank or credit card co.
they will not email you and ask for ANY info.
they ..may.. email you for diff reasons but never
give you a link. you have to go there on your
own outside your email.
comon sense !
try it - micky likes it Happy

Collapse -
Paypal is safe

In reply to: consider

Good there is protection for people who buy using paypal.

Collapse -
Using PayPal

I spend a lot on various software (Thanks to CNet) and if the supplier has not got PayPal facilities they're off my book. PayPal is very secure and they're all I ever use

Collapse -
To annettelode. Post deleted.

Your post was deleted. Tag line web addresses are not permitted in these forums.

Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~

My PayPal account was hacked - New!
by annettelode - 04/04/10 11:22 In reply to: how safe is paypal? by TherealIrishrover

Just want to add the Paypal is not as safe as you think.
My account was hacked and 4 $49 transations was made by a hacker.
I luckely got my money back from PayPal few days after.

Collapse -
Be very careful

Though the concept of PayPal is excellent, in practice it leaves much to be desired (see URL's listed below). I have used PayPal on EBay because I frequently have no other choice if I want to purchase an item that the sellers require use of PayPal. I have given PayPal only my Charge card number, though they keep asking for my bank account info which I will not give to anyone online or offline. I don't like the idea of someone being able to access my account or debit my account. I have had no problem so far with giving PayPal my credit card number. You might want to look at these two URL's
http://www.paypalwarning.com/
and this one from Google: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=problems+with+paypal+on+ebay&rlz=1R2RNTN_enUS356&aq=9&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=problems+with+pay&gs_rfai=&fp=ca6b5a4f84435186

Collapse -
Just a note, or three.

In reply to: Be very careful

Nothing is perfect in this world, least of all on the internet, so it doesn't surprise me that large web organisations like PayPal are involved in legal disputes. We can only comment on our own experiences, and if some of those are negative, then that adds to the information users can read up on, so they can make their own decisions.

But I do have a few comments about your post.

1] The http://www.paypalwarning.com/ web site you linked to raises a WOT, (Web of Trust), advisory about that web site's trustworthiness;
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/merchantinc.com
Not many comments to be fair, but one suggests the web site distributes spyware. I always worry when I visit sites where my WOT Browser security plugin throws up a warning.

2] That same site. Did you follow the link at the bottom of the page, the; Click here for our PayPal alternative?
It seems the alternative is a "Real Merchant Account". A competitor to PayPal?

That might not appear suspicious at first glance. I mean, there are always competitors, right? Only, that WOT scorecard link above also includes a Whois option, and following that I see that the Whois for www.paypalwarning.com has a 'Domain name' of Merchantinc,com, and Merchantic.com also owns the PayPal alternative site of http://www.merchantinc.com/

So, a competitor telling us how dangerous PayPal is?

3] The Google link you gave. The first link I tried http://www.paypalsucks.com/ gives similar PayPal horror stories. But guess what? The option on that site for Click here for the #1 PayPal alternative, sends me to... you guessed it, the same http://www.merchantinc.com/ as before.

It seems www.merchantinc.com has been busy with it's 'PayPal' alternatives.

Mark

Collapse -
Highly recommend PayPal

I've been a member of PayPal for several years and never had any problems. In fact, I would not deal with a seller if their payment method is not thru PayPal. I trust their services and highly recommend it.

Collapse -
Probably fairly secure

though as far as I am concerned nothing is secure on the internet. I would not give them my bank information but a credit card probably is OK. Best bet would be to get a credit card with a small limit that you use only for PayPal transactions, of course this holds true for any credit card purchases done over the internet. I have used PayPal reluctantly over the years because I had no other choice if I wanted to purchase something from an EBAY seller who would only accept PayPal for payment. My wish is that EBAY would open their doors to competition for other payment providers such as PayPal. I have never favored monopolies because they drive prices up.

Collapse -
Bad experience with paypal

I didn't get items from seller

Open case in paypal, seller show the Tracking No status : Deliver

But i didn't receive the items

Paypal closed my case with i lost $160+

I think paypal is not really safe

Collapse -
Paypal

I have been happy with paypal.

Collapse -
Never had an issue

In reply to: Paypal

Use PayPal daily and works great.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.