Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How safe is Paypal?

by Bron / July 14, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

Hi all,

Can you tell me if Paypal is really safe?

I sent in a post last week regarding my son being a victim of credit card fraud and im thinking to myself what can you do to safeguard yourself if ordering an item on the net?

Do you have opinions about Paypal and is it really secure?

Thank you all,

Bron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How safe is Paypal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How safe is Paypal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by littlegeneral / July 14, 2005 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: How safe is Paypal?

I have used paypal on ebay and had no problems. just make sure your password is something recognizible.

Collapse -
Hi Bron
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: How safe is Paypal?

Hopefully somebody that actually uses it will answer but other than phishing attempts by people that "CLAIM" to be from Paypal I have always understood it to be fairly secure. Many people use it, including most authors of the free malware remover programs for donations(such as Spybot, SpywareBlaster, etc). I would think that if THEY use it then it should be secure. Just remember that Paypal NEVER asks you for personal info via e-mail so don't ever fall for the phishing attempts. If I were you, I would also wait for some more responses on this too.

Collapse -
for phishing
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bron

you could try Spoofstick as it tells you if indeed you are on paypal or not, i use paypal all of the time and not recieved any phishers yet (knock on wood) but this little tool is good to have just in case, there is an IE and a Firefox version of it as well.

Collapse -
sorry roddy
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: for phishing

im sure that you know this already, i was trying to respond to the OP but screwed up....my bad.... Sad

Collapse -
Nothing to apologise for. I had
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry roddy

SpoofStick on IE and I had all kinds of trouble with IE and I had to uninstall SpoofStick and the problems went away but I had no problems with it on Firefox. I ended up uninstalling it on there too but NOT for problems, I just don't buy anythng online so for me, it was a waste of space but I DID like the tool. You could even change the colors LOL.

Collapse -
I like spoofstick
by bglover51 / July 14, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

It's highly customizable.. when used with Firefox's basic gray and a red font its actually quite attractive. I do like it tells me I'm on the correct website if I plan on using my credit card (I do shop online a lot).

But, even more than that, it's quite attractive if set up correctly (I have mine set to only show the name of the site I'm on and I use the small font). I highly recommend it to those who shop online, and even those who just want to add a nice little bit of color to their browser (I am not someone with a real busy browser-- very minimalist, matter of fact.. just the basic FirfeFox Toolbar, with a few links added on the bar).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's a good tool.
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I like spoofstick
Collapse -
i tried
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) It's a good tool.

this one http://toolbar.netcraft.com/ for a while but that one really screwed everthing up especially it you yahoo chat or something, you try to check you mail via the chat and it wont let it load for some reason, the firefox version was just as bad but i hear some decent things about that one, i still like spoofstick though, i hadn't had the problems with IE although, as you mentioned, some others out there have experiecned the same thing happening as you so you're not alone.. Wink

Collapse -
It was not a big deal to me
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: i tried

because I don't buy anything online and I know where I am surfing to but I wanted to try it out. I prefer having that space used by the Google Toolbar which I USE 100 times a day but that is just MY personal preference.

Collapse -
HA
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

i got one up on ya, i use my google 101 times a day... LOL ;-D j/k

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :D
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: HA
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does the Firefox V also work for Mozilla 1.7.8??
by tobeach / July 14, 2005 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: for phishing
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hi roddy, thank you everyone for your help:D
by Bron / July 14, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bron
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You'll probably get more responses later too Brona
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 7:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Pay Pal
by Patricia / July 14, 2005 9:29 AM PDT

I've used it for about 3 years, for one purpose only. That is to pay the small amount charged by Image Magician for uploading images to the web from where I can post them to a web site.

There has been no problem and I certainly hope there won't be. My daughter also uses it to pay for documents she requests as part of her genealogy hobby.

Pat

Collapse -
Thanks again everyone for your help.
by Bron / July 14, 2005 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Pay Pal

Im just wondering how my son became a victim?

Was he not careful enough while ordering?

Im tired preaching to him about security, but then again he is not the only one.

Almost forgot to tell you, he has insurance against fraud thank god he will not be at a loss.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Brona:)

Collapse -
Glad to hear that he
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 8:45 PM PDT

was protected Brona. You're welcome. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for ALWAYS being around Roddy :D:D
by Bron / July 14, 2005 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Glad to hear that he
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?