General discussion

How's your weather....

by Mac McMullen / January 19, 2007 3:23 AM PST

Here's mine at Noon, Friday....

Observed at: Tularosa, New Mexico
Elevation: 4653 ft / 1418 m
[Light Snow]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How's your weather....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How's your weather....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) About the same, but no snow (yet).
by drpruner / January 19, 2007 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: How's your weather....
Collapse -
Cold, but sunny
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2007 3:59 AM PST

Temperature 39

Humidity 45%

Wind NNW @ 5mph

Barometer 30.40

(All I could find.)

We are closely watching the "winter weather" coming out of the southwest for Sunday. Right now it is expected to stay south of us, but that could change, Hope not.

Our temperatures are expected to be below normal for at leat a couple more weeks.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Looks like we are...
by Rolway / January 19, 2007 4:02 AM PST

warmer than you are up here in NE Mass.

Temp: 42
Real Feel: 32
Cloudy with Sun
WNW winds at 11 mph
Gusts 25 mph

No snow as yet. Just a couple dustings Sad

Snow next week sometime maybe. Happy

Businesses are hurting. Snow plows all idle, Shovels and Blowers all collecting dust. Ski resorts, Hotels really hurting. Laying people off. VT, NH, & ME loosing millions every day. Tourism way off. If it was'nt for the snow making machines, it would be a disaster.

See what we have geared our economy to. One nice warm winter and 100's of businesses go capoot.

Collapse -
How's the weather?
by JP Bill / January 19, 2007 4:17 AM PST

Went to the mail box wearing knee high rubber boots and full length raincoat walking in 2-4" of slush.

Collapse -
Mark Twain once said about the weather.....
by Rolway / January 19, 2007 4:46 AM PST

Everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything about it.

Collapse -
Some talk about it more than others
by JP Bill / January 19, 2007 5:13 AM PST
If there is one thing Canadians like to talk about, it's the weather.

If there is one thing Canadians like to talk about, it's the weather.

I'm sure it's due to living in a country where it can go from 40 below to 40 above in a few short months. There are a lot of places where you can die just from being left outside, but not many where it can happen both summer and winter.

My grandparents used to leave the TV tuned to the weather channel, and gave a commentary on what was going on -- not just in their own community, but everywhere. "Looks like they're going to get more rain in Brussels," one of them would say. "Yep, and there's a hurricane brewing off Cuba."
Collapse -
Ski & surf
by Willy / January 22, 2007 3:55 AM PST

I'm sure at the right time of year, you can snow ski and then surf on the same day within miles of each other. You can climb to a high mountain or get a ride, ski the day, then at noon hop down to the sea level and surf, gee, go figure, get a tan and wet feet and freeze you butt all in the same day. Well, Hawaii has a alot to offer.

-----Willy Happy

Collapse -
On the Mountain: Outlook improves
by Rolway / January 19, 2007 5:56 AM PST

Looks like its improving up North finally.

As a wise man once said, "Yeah, baby!"

Maybe that wise man was Austin Powers, but "Yeah, baby" seems apropos when talking about the weather this week when it snowed, it was cold enough to make snow and there's a long-range forecast calling for even more of the white stuff.

Link

Collapse -
38 and raining lightly here
by Josh K / January 19, 2007 6:19 AM PST

Depending on which weather reporting service you look at, it will either rain, sleet or snow this weekend. This has truly been "bizarro winter." It's in the 30s here and in New York they've had such a warm winter that spring flowers started popping out of the ground.

Collapse -
Did you get any ice?
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2007 6:59 AM PST

I will never forget the ice storms in Dallas!

One morning my husband was ready to leave for work, looked outside, and said, "Oh good! No problems. The streets are just wet."

He never made it out of the driveway.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Little patches here and there....
by Josh K / January 19, 2007 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Did you get any ice?

....but nothing major. We were very lucky. They were predicting more sleet and snow this weekend but now the forecast has improved.

Collapse -
Good for you, but....
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2007 11:58 PM PST
Collapse -
I think it shifted to our north a bit
by Josh K / January 20, 2007 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Good for you, but....

Not sure about the path once it leaves our area though.

One thing that was pretty neat -- on Wednesday we had a lot of sleet, freezing rain, etc. Thursday morning all the trees looked like they were made of glass, from water that had frozen on them overnight. It was really pretty seeing them shining in the sun.

Collapse -
Re: Ice
by John Robie / January 20, 2007 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Did you get any ice?

Josh is living up in the Dallas area. Down here in the southern portion around the San Antonio area we were hit hard by ice. Our locals just don't know how to handle/drive with ice/sleet etc.

It was slow rain and drizzle last weekend with the temperature hovering continuously around 33-34F, by Monday night the temperature dropped to 31-32F freezing the water on all the freeways. Work crews worked all night spreading sand & salt, but not much help. By 8AM Monday 200 minor auto accidents were reported by the TV and announcements of just about all freeways closed. The rain drizzle with some sleet continued on with the 31-32F through Tuesday and by 8AM then there were 600 auto accidents reported with some injuries & deaths. The city went to almost a total shut down of all work and schools closed Monday & Tuesday because even off the freeways there was water freezing to ice making travel by vehicle difficult.
Hey, whoever heard of using chains or snow tires down here.

Talked to my son who lives in the country north of San Antonio, said he started out in 4 wheel drive real slow Monday AM and went down a slight hill like being on a sled. He managed to turn around and use the grass with 4WD to get back up the slight hill and back home. He tried again late Tuesday it took him close to 1? hours to get to his normal 25 minute travel time to work.

Collapse -
I reckon that the best way to get around on ice....
by Angeline Booher / January 20, 2007 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ice

.. or snow covered ice is to use tire chains.

But I don't see them around any more, except for the mail delivery trucks.

In the past I could tell what the streets were like without looking.... just hearing the cars with chains going by told the story.

What makes it bad here is the thawing in daytime and re-freezing at night.

In addition to the San Antonio area, I heard they also had snow in Los Angeles.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
This is what I don't understand
by Josh K / January 22, 2007 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ice

People shouldn't have to live in a climate prone to ice to understand the basic concept that ice is slippery. The whole "people here don't know how to drive on ice" thing makes no sense to me at all. It's ice. It's slippery. This means you don't go 80 on the interstate or 40 around curves when the roads are icy. Why is that so hard for people to grasp?

The best way to drive on it is not to, if you can help it.

Collapse -
Guess you are replying to
by John Robie / January 22, 2007 6:30 AM PST

what I said, "Our locals just don't know how to handle/drive with ice/sleet etc."
Its not a matter of going "....80 on the interstate or 40 around curves when the roads are icy."

Down here the last snow to amount to anything staying on the ground past a few hours was in 1985 and as I recall around 1949. Rain turning to ice has happened more frequently, but still people not used to roads, freeways, overpasses, bridges turning to ice, will have more accidents than people living in areas where ice happens every winter. It just don't happen around this here area every winter and when it does, many people who have never driven with ice/snow/sleet may have missed driving on it until later years.

Collapse -
I was being just a little bit facetious
by Josh K / January 22, 2007 6:41 AM PST

I know there are driving techniques, etc. involved but some things really are a no-brainer. I've seen many, many people driving WAAAAAAY too fast on icy roads here. Some apparently are under the sadly mistaken impression that an SUV is impervious to ice, which is the opposite of the truth -- heavier vehicles will take longer to stop on ice than lighter ones. On snow an SUV is great, but on ice it's a liability unless you're really driving it properly.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep
by John Robie / January 22, 2007 7:07 AM PST
Collapse -
snow!
by Dragon / January 20, 2007 9:41 AM PST

OCCASIONAL LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS PANHANDLES TONIGHT AS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW MOVES EAST...AND MOISTURE WRAPS AROUND THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN EDGES OF THE LOW. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED WITH STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES. THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY BY LATE TONIGHT.

I don't know how much snow we've had in inches, but I almost got stuck in the parking lot where I park my car at work, today.

Collapse -
rained almost non-stop 36 hours
by jonah jones / January 20, 2007 1:49 PM PST

this morning (sunday) grey sky and gale force wind, forecasting "cold and maybe snow on the high ground" later

jonah "hibernates when it hits 50F" jones

Collapse -
As of 5:52 AM, 21 Jan:
by Paul C / January 20, 2007 6:58 PM PST

Temp: 21 F.

Wind chill: 13 F.

Light snow, 2-4" predicted by about the time we slog to the RCA Dome for the Colts' game.

Hey, we're just trying to make those New Englanders in town for the game feel at home. Wink Alas, due to geographical location, we're unable to give them something that would make them feel more welcome - like a good nor'easter... Devil

Collapse -
In Valencia County, as usual,
by drpruner / January 22, 2007 2:38 AM PST

snow by most mornings, melted by noon.

Collapse -
Snow on The Superstitions and Four Peaks:)
by Glenda / January 22, 2007 2:42 AM PST

Current conditions as of 10:51 am MST

Partly Cloudy
Feels Like: 35

Collapse -
Relative called me last night
by John Robie / January 22, 2007 6:38 AM PST

from Scottsdale (in Phoenix area near your Apache Junction area) and said they were have light snow flakes in his back yard.

Collapse -
(NT) It has been a very strange winter:)
by Glenda / January 22, 2007 7:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Winter is finally here
by Willy / January 22, 2007 11:11 PM PST

Here in NW Ohio, winter has finally arrived. In no certain terms, this has been the weirdest or untypical winter in my memory and for the books. It was warm and sometimes downright balmy in Dec.! Snow has finally fallen and stayed on Jan 20th and even then temp was roughly normal. Also, this winter has been the wettest I can recall. While alot of people enjoy the warm weather, I find it somewhat disheartly as I expect certain weather at certain times because I prepare for it. I enjoy the warm weather as well, but being constantly wet and having a flooded yard and/or area is something that should be happening in the spring. I suspect this coming spring will be even a wetter one.

adios -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?