Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How's the weather, Mark Flax?

by Ziks511 / November 22, 2009 5:19 AM PST

Don't know if you live in the affected areas Cumbria and ?North Yorkshire or Northumbria. The flooding looks pretty tough.

When we lived there, the flooding always seemed to be in Kent around the Isle of Sheppey, but being north of the Thames and relatively up high (even if the P{tsea Marshes had flooded) we were clear of trouble.

Hope all is well for you.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How's the weather, Mark Flax?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How's the weather, Mark Flax?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, its wet.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 7:52 PM PST

12 midday now and it's as dark as nightfall. I have the lights on.

But I'm in Derby in the center of the country and fortunately haven't been affected by the floods here.

The area affected recently upgraded its flood defences to help mitigate against the '1 in 100 years' flooding. Sadly this latest flooding is '1 in 1000 years' We can't win!

The Government gets the blame of course, as do the weather forecasters, Happy

But thanks for your concern Rob.

Mark

Collapse -
There are rumors in England that...
by James Denison / November 22, 2009 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: Yep, its wet.

...a sun exists. Few have actually seen it. Wink

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2009 4:16 AM PST

The only time I see it is pictures beamed down from space.

Mark

Collapse -
If I may believe ...
by Kees Bakker / November 23, 2009 4:21 AM PST

the older English books, Englishmen used to go to the "continent" (that's mainly France - Paris and the Riviera - and Switzerland) in the previous century. So those lucky people did see the sun! But with the current rate of the English pound they can't afford it any more.

Kees

Collapse -
Ouch, that hurt!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2009 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: If I may believe ...

But sadly, so true. Happy

I blame the Government.

Mark

Collapse -
response
by JP Bill / November 23, 2009 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch, that hurt!
Just plain scary

From Nov 22 Coast of Wales

Videos of washed out bridges and flooding showing the power of water are frightening.
Collapse -
It was a trade-off. The sun never set on the British Empire
by Ziks511 / November 23, 2009 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch, that hurt!

but sadly rarely shone on Britain itself. Think of it as the price of Empire, and now that you don't have an Empire, it's penance for having one.

Rob

Collapse -
Instructions to American pilots in WW2. "Set a course due
by Ziks511 / November 23, 2009 10:13 AM PST

West and look for the biggest, blackest, ugliest cloud you can find, then make your let-down very carefully. Look for an airfield because you're guaranteed to be over Britain." Thanks, Dad.

It's funny, but having lived in Maryland, Michigan and Ontario, I found English weather to be quite mild. The rain while frequent was not the torrential downpours as I was accustomed to dealing with in Summer. And the temperature, both Summer and Winter was so comfortable. I never wore a winter coat (at least when I was driving).

Rob

Collapse -
Hey, my Mum was from Macclesfield and was born at the
by Ziks511 / November 23, 2009 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Yep, its wet.

family house on the Buxton Road very close to the Derbyshire border, and the mother of a good friend here was born in Buxton. Both my Mum and Meg's mother ended up in publishing in London, and both married servicemen, Meg's Dad being a Canadian Artillery Officer, and my Dad being a USAAC pilot.

Glad things aren't too awful for you, but it's a damn shame for those who've gotten caught by this nasty surprise. It's such a shame because Cumbria is such a beautiful corner of Britain but it's rocky enough that the rain didn't have many places to go except down hill.

I wish you a better winter.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?