Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How often do i need to update?

I have a bootlegged copy even because the company i bought my computer from (TigerDirect.com) and Microsoft both refuse to send me a hard copy of the CD, even though i have a vaild serial #. So I refuse to pay for it again. I used to update weekly until this WGA came around. How often do i need to update to make sure my system is secure? Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How often do i need to update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How often do i need to update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Updates Generally.............

In reply to: How often do i need to update?

Come from MS on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, unless there are security risks discovered in betweeen.

So basically, go to WU the 2nd Wednesday of the month.

Can't hurt to check whenever!

Collapse -
As often as necessary

If you have a valid/legal key for XP, why not just change your current key to the legal one. As far as Microsoft is concerned, this makes your copy legal.

Once you've done that, you should update every time there are new updates available. Typically, Microsoft has a "Patch Tuesday" which is the second Tuesday of the month, when they release new patches. Occasionally a month goes by without any new patches, and occasionally MS will release a patch outside of their normal schedule. So checking at least once a month is a good idea, and keeping an eye on tech news sources to get a heads up on any extra-schedule patches that may be released.

Collapse -
Problem: bootlegged copy...

* Most computers sold nowadays do not come with a set of CDs. Instead there is a hidden partition on your hard drive from which you can burn your own set of CDs in case you ever need to reinstall Windows and the packaged 3rd-party software. However, now that you have installed another copy of Windows that partition is most likely gone.

* You contacted the wrong people to obtain a valid CD. TigerDirect is just like BestBuy or CircuitCity...they are just the store and have no control over what the manufacturer decides to include. And in cases of OEM software Microsoft is not the responsible party. It is the computer manufacturer that you must contact, and at this point pay a nominal fee for a set of CDs since you didn't burn them yourself.

* In regards to updates, updates depend on the products themselves. Antivirus software should be updated daily. Windows, on the other hand, receives one major set of updates each month...read about Patch Tuesday.

* Unfortunately I must now lock this thread since you have disclosed you are running a bootlegged version of Windows.

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer and obtain a legal copy of Windows, then reinstall. Once that is complete you will be eligible to receive full updates from Microsoft and we will be able to help with any future problems you may have.

John

Collapse -
Adding my two cents and relocking

In reply to: Problem: bootlegged copy...

Another option is to burn to cd anything important on your computer right now, contact Tiger Direct and ask about purchasing a Recovery/Restore cd based on your original purchase (should be less expensive than buying a new copy of XP). Once received you should be able to then run the cd and it will recreate the partitioning for you. Tech support there should be able to help you....even if you lie and tell them that some stupid relative formatted your computer without your knowledge and you need to get back to a useable pc. I don't know what Tiger Direct's support is like, but many times you can find somebody sympathetic to help you out. Assuming that since you aren't above using a pirated copy, you won't be that far above making up a believable story for them.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.