Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How not to waste ammunition when in combat.

by Paul C / March 31, 2014 7:35 PM PDT

An unnamed British sniper upgraded the sniper's motto, "one shot, one kill", in an effort to save the ammo that Her Majesty's government had so thoughtfully provided him.

The new motto: "One shot, SIX kills."

"The guy was wearing a vest. He was identified by the sniper moving down a tree line and coming up over a ditch," said Lt Col Slack. "He had a shawl on. It rose up and the sniper saw he had a machine gun.

"They were in contact and he was moving to a firing position. The sniper engaged him and the guy exploded. There was a pause on the radio and the sniper said, 'I think I've just shot a suicide bomber'. The rest of them were killed in the blast."

Another bomb vest was found nearby.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How not to waste ammunition when in combat.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How not to waste ammunition when in combat.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now that's good news. Having suffered in the First World War
by Rob_Boyter / March 31, 2014 11:53 PM PDT

from an extremely carefully trained, pre-planned and co-ordinated sniping programme which was SOP in the German Imperial Army, the British who had abandoned the training and usage of snipers took terrible casualties as did the French . The Brits didn't clue in for more than a year, attributing their heavy losses to "stray bullets" a remarkable percentage struck the victims in the forehead or the head generally. I just finished a very good (and short) book about sniping in the Frist World War by Martin Pegler called Sniping in the Great War.
Regrettably the hard cover is no longer in print, and is now sold at a premium. Buy the Kindle version.

The man responsible, in the face of monumental opposition from the "Red Tabs" of the General Staff. (Staff Officers from Captain on up wore Red Collar Tabs to distinguished them from the fighting soldiers) was the gloriously named Hesketh Hesketh-Pritchard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesketh_Hesketh-Prichard who organized the training of snipers and observers and constantly improved the training and the skills taught. He worked himself into an early grave, having been forced to take a lengthy medical leave during the war, as a result of his relentless tireless sleepless pursuit of teaching and proving the worth of sniping. He died in 1922 at age 45 which was early even then, particularly as he was a wealthy sportsman prior to the War. It was he who recruited Scottish Game Keepers (Ghillies) who taught the value of camouflage and the ghillie suit, and also the value of precise and detailed observation and clear recall of details to be passed on following time in the forward trenches or in No Man's Land.

Hesketh-Pritchard's son was a valiant leader in the Second World War, who proposed a raid on a German airfield in France to steal a Junkers 88 night fighter. His code name was Pineapple. To his extreme disappointment, a Ju 88 landed accidentally in Wales having gotten disoriented and having made the classic navigation error of flying on a "reciprocal course" i.e. the exact opposite of the course you wanted to be on. ref. Dr R. V. Jones, Most Secret War. One of the best books on World War 2 and the Technical or Scientific War. Directional Beams, Radar, V weapons and much more.

Reasonably well covered too are the Canadian Native and Metis snipers who occuppied 4 or 5 of the top 10 sniping scores for al Allied forces in the Great War. Peggy Peghamabow, Henry Nor-West, or North West, and Johnson Paudash were 3, another was named Riel. What the book doesn't make clear was that the vast majority of the Native Canadian sniper's shots were aimed over iron sites using the Ross Rifle, the Canadian weapon, which had proved such a disaster in the trenches in early 1915 not because it was a poor rifle, but because it was made to exacting tolerances unsuitable to the bulk made British ammunition which was so variable in its dimensions that sometimes the cartridge case expanded upon shooting, and swelled in the breech refusing to eject. The Canadians who retained the Ross spent a great deal of time hand selecting each and every cartridge using hand made guages to ensure that they would operate properly. The discards were then loaded into machine gun belts, because the Vickers 1902 would fire anything, including even German rounds. There is a rumour that a full Vickers belt was 9 yards long, hence the phrase "The whole Nine Yards". That seems incorrect to me. I believe that the standard belt was less than 5 yards. There is also a reference to the full load of ammunition for various WW2 American aircraft as totalling 9 yards, and that firing all the ammunition on a single target (usually in 2 and 3 second bursts) was referred to as "giving him the whole 9 yards".

Then again, a properly made kilt back in the early 20th Century required 9 yards or more of fabric, and a cheap kilt
tried to get away with less fabric by making the pleats insufficiently deep leaving it looking cheap and ill-made..

On a similar note to the "one shot eliminates 6". Early in WW2 a Territorial Army Anti Aircraft unit (think National Gurard) took a "sighting shot' at a group of 3 Dornier 17 bombers over southern England, then carefully aimed the next shot. There was a bright flash, and all three a/c disappeared. Debris from at least 2 aircraft was found where the bits had rained down nearby. It is thought that the second shot hit the bombs of the central bomber, and the explosion destroyed all 3 bombers. Possibly the best shot of the war.

Collapse -
I meant to say,Thanks very much,Paul.I enjoyed that greatly.
by Rob_Boyter / April 1, 2014 12:58 AM PDT

I need to look up the rifle used since I'm utterly unfamiliar with it. I have to say, I love the idea of the .338 high velocity rifles, and hope to inveigle a friend into visiting a range where I might get a chance to shoot one.

Collapse -
The protagonist in the "All Quiet" film was
by drpruner / April 2, 2014 5:08 AM PDT

killed by a sniper while reaching for a butterfly.

Collapse -
Wikipedia Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Magnum ser.
by Rob_Boyter / April 1, 2014 1:37 AM PDT

" Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Magnum
Accuracy International AWSM - .338 Lapua Magnum
Accuracy International L115A3 - .338 Lapua. The L115A3 is a British variant of the AWSM fitted with a threaded muzzle brake, suppressor, dark earth folding stock, butt spike, adjustable Harris bipod and Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II LP sight.
Accuracy International AWSM with scope removed and fixed stock - .338 Lapua Magnum

" The AWM is based on the AW rifle with minimal changes to accommodate Magnum length cartridges. Its detachable box magazine holds 5 rounds. Normal calibers are .300 Winchester Magnum and .338 Lapua Magnum. Designated L115A1 Long Range Rifle within the British military, the latter as the AWSM (Arctic Warfare Super Magnum) or L115A3 LRR. It is described by Guiness World Records to be the most advanced sniper rifle of all time and was used by Cpl. Craig Harrison of the British Army to establish a new record distance for a confirmed kill shot in Afghanistan in November 2009, surpassing the previous record held by a McMillan TAC-50 fired by Cpl. Rob Furlong of the Canadian Armed Forces."

From what little I've seen on the Military Channel, this is a hell of a series of rifles. One of their (Acc Internat.) "demonstrators" is a woman, who said, "I can shoot this all day and not suffer aches and pains either that night or the next day, when I can go out and shoot it again, all day.".

Collapse -
Itty Bitty Blow
by Willy / April 1, 2014 2:09 AM PDT

It works, the vest works...

Too bad, it couldn't more but then you take what you get. I guess it was a quick engagement. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Given the terrain in Afghanistan, I understand
by drpruner / April 2, 2014 5:12 AM PDT

the sniper pulls the trigger, he and his observer go to lunch, and they watch the hit when they get back.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?